Are you a babysitter? Who calles who the most, you call the parent or does the parent call you the most?

The reason I'm asking this is because the mom of the kids I take care of 8yrs. and 11yrs. old seems to think our lack of communication stopped along the way but on my part I have nothing to call her for unless it's an emergency. Shouldn't it be her reponsibility to call me if she's going to be late or if her husband will be coming instead of her? And when we initially agree to do the childcare she never said I would have to feed breakfast to her kids or feed them. She only said to give snacks to her kids after school which I do, I give them more than snacks sometimes. I only get $250 a month Monday thru Friday and watch them one hour before I have to take them to two schools and 2 or 2 1/2 hrs. after I pick them up from school. What is your opinion.

momplus01

Asked by momplus01 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I guess I read this 2 times and really don't understand what the "problem" is here.. who is having the problem? you or the mother of the kids? and over what?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't call unless there is an emergency or for one reason or another a parent has "left me hanging" for info somewhere. For things like being late, or any change of plans of course she should call. Was the breakfast thing a misunderstanding or was there an actual verbal agreement that there would be no breakfast? If you don't want to feed them maybe you could get them to school early enough for them to eat there? If you only have them 2 hours after school, an after school snack should be enough, I wouldn't give any more than that.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sorry!! We are both having the problem. The mom of the kids knew from the beginning my kid had after school activities, but yet she's late sometimes not all the time but yet she never calls me to tell me she's on her way or is going to be late or whatever. In the meantime I'm stressing because my kids will be late for her class. I feel I should not have to keep reminding this mother that she needs to be here to pick up her kids. Oh but funny thing is that when her kids have classes to go to, then she is stressing and calling me to have the girls ready and outside the door so that when she arrives the girls will be ready to go.
    momplus01

Comment by momplus01 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I guess my daughter made a mistake of making a comment that she is almost always late to her class and one of the girls took it the wrong way and told her mom and now the mom is saying that her girls feel bad about this. And the mom told me that she does not like getting involved with some of her daughter's issues because she wants her daughter to figure things out on her own. I know it's a long story.
    momplus01

Comment by momplus01 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'd load her kids up and take them with me. Leave a note on your door telling her where to come get them. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If she's going to be late, calling is her responsibility. If something happens to her kids, or if you have questions, it's your responsibility to call her. You may need to re-negotiate the food/money situation.
    Yea, I would take the kids w/ me if my daughter was going to be late. If she doesnt like it she can get there on time or give advanced notice.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• BTW, My sitter calls me more often than I call her. If she has questions, or even if DS does something outrageously cute. She knows that I am always by my phone and she isnt interrupting anything. She's not that way w/ all the moms.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2010