What is the most unique holiday tradition in your family?

Any holiday. Give us details. Is there a tradition you want to start?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 5:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We make our own christmas ornaments EVERY year... So I have many many years of crafts on my tree. I love it.
    krise

Answer by krise at 5:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• For Easter, my family makes these things called capoletti's. They are little pasta things filled with a chicken mix. We have been doing it ever since my great grandmother came here from Italy. It used to be a Christmas tradition, but found it to be much easier and less stressful at Easter. We spend the whole day before Easter making them, everything from scratch, and then cook and eat them on Easter Sunday. They are seriously my favorite food, and sometimes I wish we made them more often, but then I think it might ruin the tradition.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm not sure that it's unique, but it's a tradition I love...Our town has a huge Christmas parade every year early in December. I invite my grandma, mom, dad and brother to watch the parade with us and then come back to our house for hot cider and cocoa and Christmas cookies. All of the traditional holiday days are spent with my in-laws so this is one day I get to spend with my family.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Somebody got my Grandpa this awful ugly tie one year, so the next year he wrapped it up and gave it back to them. Now every year, some one new gets the "ugly tie" and has to wear it all Christmas Eve and be the one to hand out gifts. :)

On Thanksgiving we have a football pool every year and those who can't make it from out of state still call the claim their squares. :)

One tradition I am going to start with my kids, is celebrating St. Nicholas Day. (We still do Santa, but I LOVE this idea too) So every year on St. Nicholas Day they will hear a story about him, and then we will go out and do something that St. Nicholas would do such as volunteering at a shelter, adopting a family, or shopping for toys for tots.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Oh and when I was little, my Great Aunt Mary used to leave her tree up until St. PAtricks Day EVERY year. So every year on St. Patricks Day, we would go over to her house and all of the kids (VERY large close family so I am talking like 20 kids) got to shoot the ornaments off with nerf guns. :) She replaced them every year. LOL. She has passed away and so has that tradition. It was fun while it lasted.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We draw names (the grown-ups) and we make something homemade for that person.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 6:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It's not fancy or anything...or even unique...but we have always gone out one night the week before Christmas to all sorts of different neighborhoods to look at the decorated homes. My husband and I still get excited over doing this, even though our children don't seem to anymore.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We observe St. Nicholas Day on December 6. The kids leave their letters to Santa out on December 5 and in the morning they find a small toy or other trinket. My mom did it with us growing up, I don't know where the tradtion started in our family. I've added on to the tradition because Santa also leaves the kids a note telling them at he's watching and what he sees them doing and how they can improve their standing on the nice list! lol
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 12:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2010