HOW DO YOU DISCIPLINE A 2YR OLD...?

My 2yr old is out of control she is MEAN with just about everyone. When someone try to correct her she gets mad points her index finger out and yells back. Everything is "NO" or "WHY" she just turned 2 in August and her vocabulary is very limited to mainly "no" and why" or at times "duhhhh"...don't get me wrong she can be a good baby but it seems to think and act like she is the boss...She picks fight with her 9yr old brother and 6 yr old sister...My 6yr old is afraid of her and is always crying due that "Maddie" (that is my 2yr old) is hitting her, pulling her hair, pinching her and ect...I try time out and she laughs and will not stay i have try to spank her and as well laughs about it's like she just don't care...She does not have a favored toy for me to take away she does not like cartoons so i cant take TV time away...I am at a lost...

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 5:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ok...TOs really dont work for kids under 3. It olnly satisfies us as parents. Trust me there are times I give my 2 1/2 yo TO because it is the only way I can keep from jumping out a window. Toddlers need consequences. For instance if she is hitting then whatever enjoyable event she was about to do can be taken away. Give her choices...she can choose to yell at you or she can choose to go to the park. This way it is HER choice. Hitting is unaccetable. When she raises her hand get down to her level grab her hand look her right in the eye. Tell her hitting is NOT ok. Tell her you know she is upset about....but we DON'T hit Mommy! She also is learning the word "No" from somewhere. I NEVER used the word "no" therefor I can caount on 1 hand how many time my DS used it in the past year. Instead of telling her "no" redirect her. Instead of saying "no drawing on the wall" say something like "mommy woud love it f you cont.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We used redirection for the most part and began introducing time-outs as well. We also started the 1-2-3 method which has continued to work for our son (now almost 6).
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• She's testing you, mom! She needs to see how far she can go with you before you break. I would probably give her a swat and put her in her room with nothing at all to do but sit & think what she's done. Good luck and hope it all works out!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think it's a good idea to use the crib as a time-out spot.

Also, you just have to be completely consistent so that she knows she cannot refuse time-out. You are in charge, not her. If you don't instill that in her now, you are right, the teen years won't be fun.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• have you tried taking her to a doctor? she may be bi polar i know crazy a 2 year old being bi polar sounds like a joke but it happens and could be what you going through or maybe she has something else that you wouldnt think a baby would have but it does happen you should take her to a doctor and ask them what you can do if everything you have done has failed try something new! and GL
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 6:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We spanked ours, but it has to be done correctly and it has to be done consistently. When it's done that way, it will work.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• cont. drawon the paper." She feels misunderstood. Tell her you understand why she is uset..be detailed so she knows you really get it. Give her choices all the time. "Do you want the green cup or yellow cup?" "Which shirt do you want to wear? the pink one with flowers or the yellow with stripes." This will give her a sense of control even though you are really controlling it. I hope this helps. GL!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• uuug...I am sooo sorry. Have you gone to Birth to 3?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Check it out...

http://www.birth23.org/
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• if your daughter qualifies..it's free....just a thought..GL!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010