How do you know if a 3 year old has add/adhd?

Also what is the difference?

ZachsMom325

Asked by ZachsMom325 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I guess you can look up some information online. If you're really concerned you should talk to your Child's pediatrician.

Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I wondered if mine did at 3 and then I realized she was just being a kid...
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 5:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Well, I would first talk to your childs Ped. There is no difference - its all called ADHD at this point. I was recently tested at 31 years old. I did not have the Hyper ( the "H" in adhd ) type but had the spaced out, lack of focus or concentration or organizational skills, add in the Hyper over active and that is AdHd...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think all 3 year olds have it (ha ha). I have heard that they don't TRULY diagnose it until age 6 or 7. Just what I heard.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• He has a Dr's appt next week.

He has speech delay ( which makes it a little harder) , doesn't ever listen , I can tell him a million times not to do something and 10 seconds later he does the same thing. He is very hyper and doesn't sleep well at all. Sometimes wakes up at 3 am and tries to stay up for the day. He doesn't like to pay attention like reading a book he won't sit still long enough to finish a short story.

I just want to make sure I ask the right questions or at least just have a clue what I'm talking about. Last year his DR. was thinking he might have autism but the whole family and I think otherwise.
    ZachsMom325

Comment by ZachsMom325 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Be aware that Sensory Processing Disorder can cause many of the same behaviors as ADHD (as can simply being 3). One key thing to notice, can he sit still and focus on something that HE'S interested in? So, will he sit and play with a favorite toy for a while (keeping in mind that 3 yr olds will seldom sit for long but he should be able to play for 5 minutes or so with something he's selected). Not all doctors believe SPD is "real" (It hasn't yet made it into all the diagnostic manuals). I also understand that ADHD can't really be diagnosed until 5 or 6. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think all three yo are hyper and have no attention span. That is where they are in their development.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• you are dead on karrie!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• momofryan07

can he sit still and focus on something that HE'S interested in? Yeah he will

Just for some reason his father and I do believe something is wrong with him.  

ZachsMom325

Comment by ZachsMom325 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• ZachsMom325- My 4 yr old has some of the same behaviors that you describe about your child. My son has speech problems, he wont sit for long periods of time, he stays interested in things that he likes. He doesnt keep eye contact for longer than a second or two. He walks in circles daily around the livingroom and whenever in the car, he rocks back and forth like he is in a rockingchair. I can tell him to stop and he says ok then a second later, he is rocking again. I've talked to his dr and his doc wont try to test him until he is 6. Some doctors will, some wont due to the fact that they say that starting headstart/pre-k, a stuctured enviroment could help a lot which is true. However since my son has started pre-k, his speech has improved, but so far that is it. So he is starting spech therapy and I was told that could help determine if he should get tested earlier. Hope you get the answers to the questions you have! Good luck
    HUNTERBUNTER

Answer by HUNTERBUNTER at 10:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010