Any moms out there, that don't drive? Or is it pretty rare these days?

I am a SAHM, and do not have a license. I don't like mentioning it to people, because they look at me like I have some sort of disability. One of these days, I would love to learn how to drive, but I have an anxiety attack every time I get behind the wheel! The weird thing is, I took diver ED in high school, and drove my mom around. I just didn't have the desire to get a license. Now that I am 28, and stay at home with the kids all day, I get stir crazy! My SO wants to take me out to learn, again, but I freak out every time! Are there any moms out there like me? Is there any hope? Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'm dealing with the same exact thing! I'll be 26 in a couple of weeks, and do not have my DL. I recently took a driving course, and am learning to drive my SO's car (which is a 5 speed). Hopefully I'll get my DL next month.

All I can say, is that you just have to do it. I understand the anxiety, but you have to be bigger than it is. I still feel my heart race when I get behind the wheel, but I have to remind myself that *I* am in control.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am the same way. I had my learners permit a few years ago, but I let it go. I can't breathe when I get behind a wheel of a car. My husband use to try to push me into it, but the last time I drove It really freaked him out how bad I was reacting that he doesn't push it anymore, nor does he let anyone else push me into driving. I know how to drive, I just refuse too. We tell people we can't afford for me to get Ins. While thats somewhat true, Im sick of telling people the truth & I am also a SAHM.

The best thing I can tell you is just to get out & do it..... DO it & don't allow yourself to stop. Talk to your doctor to see if there is anything that can help. I plain on going back on my ADHD meds to see if that helps me..... Sooner or later..... I also go stir crazy, even more so now that my son is in school & my hubby sleeps all day. =/
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't have any driving anxiety. In fact, I quite enjoy driving. However, I am choosing to live a simpler, more ecologically sound lifestyle, so my family does not own a car. We take the bus, we ride share and carpool. It saves us lots of money (we spend very little in gas, nothing on car notes, insurance, registration, and mechanics) and it makes us pay more attention to how we are spending our time.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 6:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't have a DL either. I know how to drive and would have no problem once I get my license, but I got caught smoking cigarettes when I was 15 so I got a couple underage smoking tickets and until I pay them off I can't get my license. Money is really tight and always has been which is why I haven't paid them yet. My husband said as soon as we get the money he will help me pay them.

As for your fear and anxiety I agree with the PPs you really just have to go out and do it. Once you get used to it you'll probably feel better. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 6:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I got mine about a year ago or so... Until then I did not. I never wanted it, so I never got it. Even now I don't drive unless I don't have a choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my best friend is 26 and doesn't have a license. It drives me nuts because she is always needing me to take her to all her doctors appt and store ect. I have 3 kids and she has just had her 3rd child 4weeks ago. Now my van only has 7 seats so it has been getting quite stupid having to find a sitter for one of my kids so I can chauffeur her around. GET A LICENSE OR as the above posted which is also a great idea TAKE THE BUS!!!
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 6:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I just got my DL 5 years ago at the age of 31.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am 22 years old and I finally got my learner's permit about a month ago. I have driven all of 3 times since I got it. I don't need a license - I live in an area with a great public transportation system, and my husband has a license.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:17 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My mom's best friend has never had a driver's licence or driven in her whole life (she's in her late 50's now). Her husband had a heart attack and she had to call an ambulance for him, but she couldn't ride with him because she needed to find someone to care for their young son that they had adopted (this was about 8 years ago). While she was trying to find a ride to the hospital, her husband died alone.
    She is still not interested in driving, but she regrets not being with her husband when he passed away.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am 36 and have never held a driver's license. I've never enjoyed driving particularly but I don't have any anxiety either. I do want to get my license because my DH has social anxiety that makes it difficult for him to go everywhere I want or need to go. We live close to a shopping center with a grocery store & a dollar store. However, my not having a license does limit the activities my kids are involved in. My daughter would like to join Girl scouts but the meetings are too far to walk. She is taking dance lessons at a studio that just opened up down the road within walking distance even in the winter. I am not a big proponent of taking kids everywhere they want or need to go all the time, but where we live the schools have all gone to a "campus" model. So even her friends are across town and we live in a very busy suburb that's too dangerous to walk and very limited public transportation.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010