What to do for burns....

My SO was watching my 5 month old son and he touched a space heater while he was in his walker. We've tried putting cold on it but he falls asleep and wakes up crying. I feel awful. :-(

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How bad is the burn? You might need to take hinm to the Dr my dd spilt soup on her when she was3 and we took her to the ER and they treated it
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Its red but the skin doesn't look broken.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• There isn't much you can do for it. Keep cool on it but not cold. Give some Tylenol
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i remember my baby who is 2 now, touched a stick that was on fire and burnt himself on the finger, so i put a pad around his finger, like one of those pads you get from hospitals, but not alot of people have them so maybe like paper towel or something thats bandage like and then i took a cold pack from the freezer and just layed down with him and held it on there.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• and yeah, he did wake up crying too, its takes a while to cool down, any burn does.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• you can try hymroid cream. this sounds gross i know but my nephew was in a burn unit one time for burns on over 60% of his body and they used the hymroid cream on him and he does not even have a scar from the burn today. and by the way he was only 11 months old at the time.
    Carolynpritts

Answer by Carolynpritts at 6:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Minor Burns
    For minor burns, run cold water over the affected area for a minimum of 10 minutes or until the pain eases. If a minor burn is larger than a postage stamp it requires medical attention. All deep burns of any size require urgent hospital treatment.
    On ALL burns DO NOT:
    Use creams, lotions or ointments
    Use adhesive dressings
    Break blisters

http://www.safekids.co.uk/FirstAidBurnsScalds.html

Also give tylenol for the pain

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I know this is going to sound strange but it works. Try putting some toothpaste on it, preferably stuff without flouride. That is what I did when my son got burned and it took the sting out and helped it heal quicker.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• don't use pastes or ointments because they stop the burn from "weeping" which is what it needs to do. just give him some tylenol right before bed and keep it cool and he should be fine.
    Anonymous