Cons of getting your tubes tied?

Is there a good reason NOT to get my tubes tied? I dont want anymore kids. Does it mess with your hormones or period or anything??

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 5:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Health

• YES! YES! YES!

Google "PTLS" it is VERY real, and affects MANY women to various degrees... myself included. If I had known then what I know now, I never would have done it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my 33 year old MIL got her tubes tied after having her last daughter 5 years ago. it made her have these huge periods. she has to change tampons in less than an hour and has these huge plum sized clots come out. she told her doc about that and he said it was normal
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had mine 2 years ago. I have awful periods now. they are very heavy and last between 7-9 days!!! I would think twice before doing it.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 6:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, but it would be much easier all around if your SO/DH got fixed instead. Recovery time for you is 3 times as long and is considered major surgery.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had mine done 5 years ago, no side affects for me! DH and I both got sterilized when we had insurance to cover it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think the main thing is that you know you are done having kids. I had mine done almost four months ago. So far no major issues. My periods were heavier before I got pregnant.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 6:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yep, it affects your hormones, can increase your chances of cancer, blood clots and mood disorders, and increases the pain and duration of your menstrual cycle in many cases...

That said, for me, the risks are well worth it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010