Smoking while pregnant...

I spend this morning at a "mom shower." It was mostly "DUH" information for me and stuff I wouldn't use...

But, one subject that came up was smoking while pregnant. Many OBs will tell you NOT to stop smoking while pregnant because it causes fetal distress and can lead to neurological issues. However others will encourage moms to quit...

Now, we all know smoking is harmful, and we can all understand that smoking while pregnant is dangerous to the baby... However, when you have OBs and experts on both sides of the "to quit or not to quit" issue, how does someone really make the right choice?

So, what do you think? Given the risks on both sides, what do you think is the better option? Continue to smoke and risk low birth weight & nicotine addiction in your new born... OR Stop smoking and risk fetal distress and neurological issues... Both options carry a risk of miscarriage & premature birth... Both risk baby's life...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Please note... This is NOT me being Pro-Tobacco or Pro-Smoking while pregnant or anything... Simply a debate that came up at the shower...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• OB's are saying this is okay? REALLY???
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 6:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I quit the very moment I heard this..Every time you smoke a cigarette it is like holding your baby's head under water for 3mins because it constricts the umbilical cord. A woman who smokes baby's umbilical cord will be a lot thinner at birth then a woman who doesn't smoke. Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of SIDS and other breathing disorders. It's been hard not to smoke but I'm staying strong for the health of my baby girl.

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 6:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It's rather common to hear - at least in this area it is. My SIL was told under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was she to attempt to stop smoking or even cut back because she was already high risk... I was not a smoker at the moment that I got pregnant, so it wasn't an issue for me, but I was told the same thing... In fact I only know of one smoking mom who was encouraged to quit, however she was told never to use stop smoking aids because they are to dangerous.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My SIL said she was told not to quit smoking also because it would hurt the baby. Well her son was born 6wks early and has had breathing problems since birth. Her doctor said her smoking had nothing to do with it. Sorry but if my SIL believes that then she is an idiot.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 6:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I was told with my first pregnancy to stop asap. I stpped smoking with all of my pregnancy's and unfortunately started back up after I was done breastfeeding. I have never hear that you should not stop or atleast reduce your smoking.
    Sparkly3

Answer by Sparkly3 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it's hard for women like your SIL (and mine) when they are honestly trying to do what is best, and their DOCTORS are giving them this kind of advice... I'm honestly torn on the subject, like I said, I wasn't a "smoker" when I got pregnant, although I can't wait to not be pregnant so I can smoke again... But I can see both sides. IF you don't quit, and your child suffers, how do you live with that? IF you DO quit and your child suffers, how do you live with that? It's hard when you honestly want to do the best and you are getting conflicting information... Both sides have legit risks... It's hard!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Wow! I had no idea ANY medical professional would tell a pregnant woman not to quit smoking. I would stop ASAP and tell my doc to shove it and find a new doc.
    luvsmygirls77

Answer by luvsmygirls77 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I was told to try to cut back but not to the point where it would stress me. I went from a pack a day to 6 a day. I was very high risk and on bedrest for 6 months and he didn't want any more stress on my pregnancy. My babies were healthy weight at birth.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i did smoke in my last two pregnancies. call me horrible, stupid, whatever you prefer. one of them was a 10 lb baby and the other was 8.4 lbs. neither had any issues.

my first was the only one i DID NOT smoke with, who ended up being the lowest birth weight, 6.9. and she had breathing problems.

i dont think smoking made the difference in their birthweights, it is a RISK not a GUARANTEE that you will have a preemie. just like its a RISK you will die from heart disease if you smoke. its a RISK that you will get blood cots from hormonal bc.

i may have been a bad mom for taking that risk, and of course i would've hated myself had anything happened to them from me not being strong enough to quit. but in my experience they turned out fine, not saying to go out and smoke while pregnant, though.

not that this condones my decision in anyway, but i did cut back severely while pregnant. a pack would last me over a week.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010