In-laws

My in-laws always get my name wrong - they all call me Carol or Caroline instead of Carolyn. My SIL spells my son's name wrong. My MIL pronounces my son's middle name wrong. I have been a part of this family for four years now. Come on! Any suggestions for how to politely set them straight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• My sil gave me a different last name completely on an invitation last month... How does that happen :0) ?? Are they doing it on purpose?
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Make your hubbie the bad guy. Let him tell them. or have one of you child friends say his name where they can hear.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i think the nice way has not helped sometimes you need to be blunt and right to the point about things to get YOUR POINT ACROSS...best of luck mama... =)

BTW- i had to come up with a nick name so people could say my name cuz my name is super hard to say and to this day i have not meet a person that can say it right...so i go by Jossy BUT I PICKED IT OUT TO MY LIKINGS cuz it goes with my real name just easy for the world...lol 

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 6:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My mother in law still calls me Ginger instead of Jennifer and we've been married 15 years. Oh, and her dog's name was Ginger on top of that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't respond when they call me by the wrong name. Then, when they bring it to your attention that you weren't responding, say "Oh, I didn't realize you were talking to me!! My name is Carolyn."
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Start calling them by a name that is similar to their names and see how they like it. (like if your MIL's name is Joan, call her Jane)
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Some people don't have good reading skills. I guess this is the case. Maybe have a family photo taken, write your names under your pic and your sons pic. Frame it so they can hang it up. Then when they spell the names wrong you can politely say if you forget how to spell my name look at the pic I gave you. I thought it would help.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• yeah that what i would do i ignore them when they call the wrong name & when they approach you say you were calling me cause my name is so & so no that
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Start saying their names wrong and they should get the idea.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010