How do you deal with inlaws that have NO children, and they think they know better than EVERYONE about child rearing??

I have an inlaw that tells us at every chance, that he knows how to raise kids...he doesnt HAVE any, and he doesnt particularly CARE for kids.

grammamamma

Asked by grammamamma at 6:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I assume this is a brother in law? I always say that I made a much better mother before I had kids, lol. I'd tell him that. Make light of it, but perhaps he'll get the point and don't let it get to you, he shouldn't speak of what he knows nothing about.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Although, I just remembered one time when I just couldn't take it anymore I told him "You know, when you have kids, you can raise your kids that way" I was sweet as pie when I said it!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Is he your step in law? Just confused how an inlaw can have no kids. Anyway, Tell him to give you advice when he has his own children.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• dont let it get to you.. just smile and nod.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The same thing I do when other parents think they know better than I do for my kids... I simply tell them to shut the hell up, if they have opinions, they are more than welcome to tell someone else, but I don't want to hear it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• you will aways have a know it all in every family. Just let him talk It doen't mean you have to listen
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yep, I ignore them. It's easy to be an "expert" when you have no experience! Not worth causing drama over.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Ignore them. My own mom tried to tell me how to parent our kids and I just nodded and let it roll off my back. If she would have been a stellar mom maybe I would have listened to her advice though.
    luvsmygirls77

Answer by luvsmygirls77 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am confused too samurai!!!! they raised your hubby didn't they?

Answer by older at 6:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yeah this is kinda confusing to me too.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010