Would this bother you? Charity bribes needy moms to go to church...

We have a local charity, they offer you "money" (fake money) for doing things like taking parenting classes and breastfeeding and you can then use that "money" to spend in their "store" to purchase new clothes or other baby/child needs...

I have never used them, although I have donated to them in the past. Today, they were one of the vendors at the Mom Shower I went to and I was upset to find out that although anyone can get "money" from them for doing things like classes and whatnot, if you attend their church you get twice the "money" that anyone else does...

Now, I have donated stuff to this group and was NEVER told this before! I'm rather angry to find out that what I thought was just a charity for local needy moms turns out to be not only Church run, but that they try to bribe these moms in to going to their Church...

To me, needy is needy... Had I known this in the first place I never would have given them things!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope to me that is NOT true charity, that is bribery and it is not right at all

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We have charity events as Pagans but you don't see us giving more to Pagans than we would to anyone else. A need is a need.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• See that's what upsets me. I have been POOR, and homeless, and always was more than willing to donate clothes or things we didn't need... I don't mind the idea of the "earning" the stuff because many of these moms could use some "education" and help, and if nothing else someone to talk to. But the idea that if you go to church they double your "money" seems twisted... Maybe it's because I'm not Christian, but even if I was, who are they to decide I have to go to THEIR church in order to get more help? Needy people come on all paths, even Christians fall in to limitless categories, how is theirs any better than any other? Because they pay you? That's just ridiculous...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The double the money if you attend services part really bothers me, too. It isn't right. They are basically saying that those who attend church are worth more than those who do not. Public charity should be given freely and indiscriminately.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Well meaning as it may have been, it's getting people into church for the wrong reason and not something my church would do. If you need help you get help. Simple.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it is wrong espically seeing as they are so willing to take donations from those that are not in their church. If they want to do it that way they need to be up front with people that are giving money and items to them.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I do think they should let donors know, but I really don't see it as surprising. It's not a public charity, it is a church-based one and so there are bound to be religious catches. I worked for a Lutheran school for a few years and the tuition was less than half price for the members of the church (but the church did NOT supplement the school, instead they charged us rent for using their building). To me this is the norm with organized religion instead of the exception.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• yikes...they shouldnt be giving out "money" to ppl who attend their church or give them extra for it! especially, if the majority of the charity comes from donors.

hmm...maybe certain ppl w/in the church won't donate unless they know it is helping out ppl in their church more so than others? or maybe their contribution goes towards it and ppl got upset till they made up this rule?

im with you tho, need is need. im actually glad to see a charity program that makes women take some classes, its beneficial to the mom and child!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I didn't find out til today that they were religiously affiliated at all. They do not use a religious building or name to take donations, nor is it mentioned anywhere on the donation paperwork... I had no idea they were even church affiliated until today... They are called "Options" which in no way said "Religious" to me... I've worked with Genesis, but I knew they were Religious - however they treat everyone - believer or not - equally. It seems they do all they can to hide the religious angle until you ask for help, then they want you to attend church in order to get the max.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i can see the sincerity in their 'bribe', as being a church-affiliated organization. of course, they love to welcome new people in. perhaps its not as 'underhanded' as it may seem. i'm sure no one is turned away.
    that being said, i found out after-the-fact that an organization for unwed teens was doing the ''money'' for classes/clothing/baby items-thing..it kinda pissed me off! i was completely under the impression that my things were given freely, to whomever crossed their doormat. i mean, sure, classes are great and all..but to me, that's a bribe, too, isn't it??
    i changed my donations to other organizations from that point on.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010