"Mean Girls" in the 3rd grade?!

My 8 y/o dau just told me about the behavior of some of the other girls in her class. They are basically imitating how the "plastics" acted in the movie, "Mean Girls". Excluding others, being rude/mean to those they think they are superior to, and looking down on smart kids. It's insane! Since when is it a bad thing to get good grades? Wth all the talking the schools do about bullying, it's obviously not working. And how sad that this B.S. has already begun in the 3rd grade! Have any of you experienced this crap yet? If so, how do/did you handle it?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are different types of bullying. Bullying includes.

•Punching, shoving, and other acts that hurt people physically
    •Spreading bad rumors about people
    •Keeping certain people out of a "group"
    •Teasing people in a mean way
    •Getting certain people to "gang up" on others
    Mean girls aren't 'just mean' they ARE bullies.
    A great book on the subject is "Odd Girl Out" by Rachel Simmons. I had the chance to meet the author and she is fabulous.
    A good website is
    http://www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/kids/

We all need to understand that this is more than 'just typical'. While it HAS gone on for generations, it is different in today's culture. I was a victim of bullying growing up. It was rough and I think it has gotten a lot worse (maybe even perpetuated by parents who say "all kids go thru it")
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My sister has a daughter that is in the 4th grade They were making fun of her clothes and saying she is stupid. Mind you she is a straight A student and her clothes are tasteful for her age. My sister told her daughter that they are just mean and not nice girls. My sister had a talk with the teacher and this is no longer going on anymore. The girls are leaving her alone. The teachers had a talk with the girls and they had to stay after school. The teacher said that if this did not work the parents would be notified. I told my sister the parents should have been notified anyway. Parents better start dong there job.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Kids have always made fun of the smarter kids, they call them geeks!!!! among other things, this is nothing new, but it takes a really smart kid to rise above that, it is just sad they start early!

Answer by older at 6:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I was seriously picked on when I was that age. That was 28 years ago. My mom taught me several things. 1. If you give them a reaction, they will contiinue to do it. 2. Learn to laugh at yourself. If you laugh at yourself, it's not fun for them either.

I continued to get my good grades and I am now known to be the smart woman with a terrific sense of humor and a quick wit.

Is it fair? No, it's not. But I can guarentee that their parents think they are little angels.

Prepare your daughter now. It only continues threw life.

The kids who aren't prepared will not know how to deal with it when they become adults, because the sad thing is--even adults bully others.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• girls were like that when i was in elementry school. but i totally agree with layh41407! all you can do is prepare her.
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I work in an elem. school and there are first graders like that.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I got my first period when I was 9 and had B cup boobs in the 3rd grade. Girls were calling me a slut and a whore and I had no idea what I had done to deserve their wrath. It traumatized me for years to come. I pray my daughter is a late bloomer... or at least a later bloomer than I was.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 7:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• When I was in second grade, girls started being mean like that. It may depend on your town too. There was a big divide between the rich and the poor. A poor kid could not be popular or even liked. It was learned from parents.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• That's how things were when I was in elementary... I don't know of a time when they weren't like that...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My 8 yr old deals with this as well. It sucks that our kids can't be kids longer these days. My almost 12 yr old is having severe issues at school. They are calling her a lesbian and saying that she has been kissing girls and stuff. I was still playing with Barbies at that age! (well, at 10 and 11 anyway)
    luvsmygirls77

Answer by luvsmygirls77 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010