I want continue breastfeeding, but only a couple of times a day. How do I lower my milk supply to only have enough for a couple of feedings??

tara2wvu

Asked by tara2wvu at 6:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why would you want to stop giving him the best when you can? There are SO many moms that would give anything to have a great supply!! If you replace nursings with bottles one nursing a day every few days then its gradual and your body will get used to it without causing illness, don't do it all of a sudden. That poor babies belly will have a rough time so watch for issues.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Supply and demand. The less he eats, the less you will make. Simply pick which feedings you want to continue and keep doing those. You will start making less milk as he drinks less.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Once you start cutting out feedings your body will naturally adjust on it's own.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i think it's important for other mom's to respect a mother's choice about breastfeeding - it's not an easy thing to do and sometimes it's just not possible to do it around the clock! when i went back to work full-time, i pumped 3 times at work and fed her before and after work, so my supply decreased a little bit. as i started to wean her down, i started pumping less. eventually i wasn't pumping at work at all and just doing morning and night feeding at home, so i agree - decrease feedings gradually and your body will adjust.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• your body should just adjust. Make it a slow progression and try not to make the feeding more that 5-6 hours apart at first. gradually spread them out. Thank you baenglishwc05 :Respect!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Start by giving a bottle for one feeding a day for at least a week so you and baby start getting used to it. Makke sure it is the same feeding each day. Then give a bottle for another feeding and just keep going like like. when I weaned I replaced her 2pm feeding first then her 10am feeding then her 6pm feeding and I kept BF for 6am and 10pm for over a month. Then I replaced the 10pm and still did the 6am for a while. We both did great doing it really slowly.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2008