Religion & Plural Families?

Okay, so the subject of Sister Wives has come up a good bit on here since the show launched...

Now, what I am wondering is do you support Plural Families (or at least the option, even if you wouldn't live that way) & what religious affiliation (or lack their of) do you have?

**Please note that Plural Families refer to those with more than one wife, more than one husband or a mix of both, NOT strictly more than one wife which is a common misconception.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I support a persons choice to live the lifestyle if thats what they want. Its not up to me to judge just because its soemthing I might not want to do. I am an agnostic, a reformed catholic....I guess thats why I'm so supportive of choice and being non-judgmental.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think anyone should be able to marry anyone else as long as both parties are of age and consenting. I think that plural families work just as well, and in some ways better, than monogamous families. I am pagan.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I support plural marriages and I'm an atheist. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• This is a loaded question. If a man can support plural wives, and the children that come with it, and live the lifestyle based on their religious beliefs, then who am I to judge their beliefs and religion. However, I begin to have a problem with it when a man marries plural wives and has more children than he can afford to support, then relies on the state to support his family while he goes out and marries another wife and has more children. As long as a polygamist can support their lifestyle, and do it based on their religious beliefs, I guess I'm okay with it even though it's not what I believe. I am a christian.

Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 7:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm Christian and I think that if the family is self supporting (I don't care if it's the man/men working only or the woman/women as well) and all partners are in agreement, I don't think it's any one else's business how many spouses a person has. However, that lifestyle is not for me, not for religious reasons but for the fact that I don't want to have another wife in the picture.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I support any family that is loving and happy.. I am Pagan.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I fully support any consenting adult being with any (and however many) other consenting adult(s) as he/she pleases. So yes, I support plural marriages.

And I am Christian Universalist. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My initial reaction would be that I just inherently disagree with the notion of polygamy. My reasons are not based on religion--I'm Agnostic. I just have a hard time believing that a woman would willingly go into a relationship like that unless she were lacking other support and/or suffered a severe lack of self-esteem.

Figaro gave an answer to a similar question, though, that really put this in "reality" terms.  The issues of health insurance, medical decisions, end-of -life decisions, and other legal matters would be a big tangle of problems unless everyone involved in the relationships were truly of the same mind and agreed on all the details.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I practice Buddhism. I think that consenting adults should be able to structure their marriages any way they want. Personally there is no way I would do a plural marriage for a variety of reasons, but I support the idea from a legal perspective. I do think, as jsbenkert suggests, that logistically it could be difficult when it comes to insurance, though the medical system deals with similar issues all the time (ie. in cases where children are substitute caregivers if no one has been given written POA/proxy status, all sibs have to agree on treatment, which would be similar to plural spouses having to agree on medical care for an incapacitated spouse.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am a Christian and while I don't necessarily AGREE with it, I don't have a serious problem with it either. It's not my place to decide how others live their lives.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 8:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2010