Why don't my poor kids have the correct racial designation at school?

I am white and my husband is Jamaican. Whenever we fill out paper work for our kids on our Army post, there is no choice for bi-racial. My husband is adamant that he is not marking them African-American and I don't feel like we can truthfully mark them white, either. There should be an "OTHER" or "BI-RACIAL" option, I think. They have Pacific Islander, but unfortunately Jamaica is in the West Indies....

tonbookluvr

Asked by tonbookluvr at 7:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ugh- you really have to put that down on school paperwork? We don't have to in Canada. My kids are biracial too (white and south asian) and if there was no category for them I think I would either write down 'other' or refuse to answer. It drives me crazy when institutions try to put ethnicity in a box in this way!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Our paperwork has both Bi-Racial and Other: __________ On it... I would talk to the school about it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• even when they've got the slot it STILL does not go in right. In Miami-Dade SUPPOSEDLY (they do have you mark it) you do Y/N for hispanic and then mark however many races. Last year my son (who is biracial) was white/hispanic... this year dd (same parents) is white.... and was put in Spanish as a Second Language so I guess they looked at the kalser and decided she was not hispanic.
    AHHHHH!!! When they sent home the midyear cards I rem. putting a BIG x on White AND african-american b/c dang it yes the child LOOKS gringo... but he's not and I refuse to not honor EVERY part of his heritage.
    (can you tell it's an issue for me too -- LOL)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Why do you say "poor" kids?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't want them to feel confused or left out. Also, my son has been subjected to some racial comments already. A boy at the pool this summer from his Kindergarden class asked Jason if he had figured out if he was white or black yet.
    tonbookluvr

Comment by tonbookluvr (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Can you just write in "other" even though there isn't a spot for it?
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Any part black, especially 1/2 black is still considered black. We are not currently being served by the 1st bi-racial president but the 1st BLACK president.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Honestly saying that if we all went by our parents race then we would all be bi-racial. My grand mother is part white and black so what is my mother? My father is part Indian & white, so what am I? I am black I look it and that is what I will be classified as no need to be confused about it cause I love my color.
    kina803

Answer by kina803 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Weird, I've never seen paperwork that doesn't have "other" with a _____ behind it. Sorry you're frustrated with the system.
    Anonymous

• After a lawsuit, my school district finally put an other and biracial with an option to fill in the races. You do have the option of refusing to answer.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010