If you had Huntingtons Disease or HIV or something else which you knew could be easily transfered to your baby...

Would you willingly get pregnant? Would you actually TTC?

DO you view parents who do as child abusers?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not. Not just because of the risk to the unborn baby, but also to my partner. Either from catching HIV (or whatever) from me, or from the heartbreak of losing both me and our child.

I wouldn't call doing otherwise child abuse though. I do think that any woman who did that would really regret it if it DID pass to her child, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would not knowingly pass on something so horrible to my child.

I would not consider them child abusers, but would think they are supremely selfish.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No I would not call them child abusers. With all the medical wonders of the world its easy to be a mom with HIV & not pass it to a child. I don't think I could willingly do it, but nor do I think those who have HIV be denied the right to know what it feels like to be a mother.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i dont necessarily call it abuse but i would definitly NOT TTC.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 8:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i owul dnot ttc
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Huntington's isn't guaranteed to be passed. You can NOT have it and still give it to your child. There's a family in my area who has it, it's crazy in their family, I went to school with one of the family members and over the years have learned a lot about it, as I spent a lot of time with a few of the family members. You can also easily have a child and not pass on HIV. I find this question kind of ignorant, uninformed.
    Anonymous

• Well, Huntington's isn't contagious mother to child... it's a hereditary condition. I suppose if you have money you could selectively screen embryos to prevent carrying it forward. And there is a lot that can help protect an unborn child from HIV... a baby with an HIV infected mother who is identified early in pregnancy has a less that 30% chance of contracting HIV. This is why they screen pg women for HIV in early pregnancy. As for whether I would ttc... hmmmm, that's a tough one. I really don't know. There are all kinds of things that can be passed to children because they may have a hereditary componant... if you had a strong family history of heart disease or carried a gene putting you at high risk for breast cancer, would that affect the decision too? I wouldn't consider it abuse, at any rate.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010