how do you figure up 9 weeks grades???

My son has tests, quizzes and classwork etc and I cannot figure out how to average them all up to make a 9 weeks grade!! Please help or give me some examples on how you do yours. Thanks in advance

brennie338

Asked by brennie338 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in

• As a teacher I grade 90% based on test or the overall assessment. Meaning in the end did they get what they were supposed to get. Class work, homework and quizzes are just there to let you know how they're doing along the way. To let you know what they do know and what they still need to practice.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I home school and what I do is add all the grades together and then say you have added 39 grades. You then divide the number you got adding them by 39 to get the "average" overall grade.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• 90% of the grade? I'm sorry but that is not telling me how to do it. and I have did it your way too babylove but I was told this is not the correct way to average up grades because the tests, quizzes and classwork is not all worth the same amount of points. So I'm still stumped.
    brennie338

Comment by brennie338 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I also homeschool and I count daily grades as 25 percent of the grade and tests or projects as 75 percent. If your son is in public school it's up to the teacher on how she wants to figure grades.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• To better explain what I do...say my child had 4 daily grades (100, 98, 96, 94) and one test grade (95). I would average the daily grades (add them up and then divide by the number of grades you had - 100+98+96+94=388, then 388/4=97). Since my test grade is worth 3 times as much as daily grades, I would then take my test grade average (in this case there is only one so it's more simple) times 3 and add in my daily grade average then divide by 4. (95x3=285, then add in your daily average 285+97=382, then divide by 4 since that is how many numbers you had 382/4=95.5). I would round up since it's at .5 and the total grade would be a 96%. It's really not too bad once you get the hang of it, but it's a monster to explain. Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You need to know what the total points for each assignment, test, quiz was and add all that up. Then you have to add up what the child got and divide them for the percentage and know what grading scale is used. If this is for their school,ask the teacher how they figure the grades.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010