Do people who agree with polygamy...

also support gay marriage?? Just wondering because most people who are against gay marriage for relgious reasons state that marriage is "between 1 man and 1 woman" , and it seems the polygamist lifestyle also seems to be tied to religious beliefs??

I could be totaly off, but just wondering???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I support both! As long as everyone is entering the marriage of their own free will and because they choose to, it's not up to anyone else or the government to decide what is or isn't right for someone else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I support marriage between any consensual ADULTS. Straight couples, gay couples, polyamourus couples and my religion has nothing to do with it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I support both as long as everybody is a consenting adult.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think that people who agree with polygamy would agree with gay marriage, since people who participate in polygamy do so for their own religious reasons. They wouldn't support gay marriage because they too believe marriage is between a man and a woman....with the exception being many women instead of just one.
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 7:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think polygamy is fare, but if everyone involved is OK with it, then it is absolutely none of my business. They can do whatever they want. It's not going to bother me at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sonnut, most polyamorous people in the US are NOT affiliated with a religon, actually. We hear about the fundamentalist Mormons and their polygamy because they are the ones who get busted lol. Most polys consist of people who don't marry, so they cant get in trouble.

I support marriage between any people who can legally sign a contract and consent to it, regardless of sex or current marital status. There's no right way to make a family, and the government has absolutely NO right to limit who can marry whom.

I am pagan, but honestly, even if I were Christian I would still think it wasn't the government's job to tell anyone who they can marry.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• As long as the poligamist are not commiting welfare fraud (which most of them are) they can do whatever they want IMO. That's why the govt. is so interested in them is because of the rampant welfare fraud. The first wife is legally married. The additional wives on welfare has single moms with only their bio kids, when husbands/wives resources are actually pooled.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• personally i think it's nasty for a man to have more then one wife...it's so hypocritical that it's ok for him to have 5 or more wives and the women like dumb @ss put up with it...

AND with gay and lesbians I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THAT, they are with one significant other so TO ME it's OK...if that makes then happy then ROCK ON...

BUT other peoples lives DO NOT AFFECT ME AT ALL...if you want to date a dog, cat or whatever go for it...just don't bug me... 

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 8:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think to each their own...whatever works for you is fine by me...the only polygamists I feel for are the ones who were first wives of a man who didn't intend to be a polygamist...I had a freind whose husband was 'called' to marry again after they had been married two years and because of their religious beliefs she was stuck I think THAT sucks... but for those who want it you can have it
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am pro gay marriage and I really don't have anything good to say about polygamy... legally I am against it - sort of for the same reasons as I am for gay marriage if that makes sense. while I don't understand the purpose of marriage if there are more than two people involved, i have a better time understanding open marriage than polygamy...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010