• In the Spotlight:

2 month old baby sucking thumb & slobing, is that a problem?

My daughter is only 2 months and is sucking her thumb and slobing like she is teething, is there a problem w/ that?

brit041

Asked by brit041 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not at all hon. It's totally natural. I think by the time she was 3 months my daughter would stick her whole fist in her mought and suck on it. *shrugs* My son liked to suck on two fingers at a time. Each child is different.

Most babies grow out of it. It's only a problem when they don't.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 1:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My son did the same thing. I embraced him sucking his thumb. The way I look at it is, he can't loose his thumb in the middle of the night like he can a pacifier.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• No problem at all. Mine was doing that at that age, she still hasn't gotten teeth yet at 5mo. She chews on her hands all the time still.
    ellaura

Answer by ellaura at 2:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My kids never liked pacifiers. My first daughter sucked her thumb BUT only when tired. She is not 4 1/2 and still does it. But only at night. So I don't find an issue with it. Presonally, I woudl rather see a 2 or 3 yrd old sucking their thumb, then sucking on a "binkie".
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2008