Do you think bicycle commuters should have to register and pay insurance?

I live in Portland, Oregon. We have a large number of bicycle commuters, I mean an obnoxius amount. So many roads here have been redone. One guy commuting from work even hit my dads side mirror on his car and took it right off, and the car was parked. Do you think bicycle commuters in bigger cities should have to register and carry insurance? I do understand that not everyone on a bike is not going to or from work, so maybe different levels of insurance or registration- something. What do you think?

Sacheen.T.

Asked by Sacheen.T. at 8:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not unless they are prepared to pay damages. If you break something of someone else's you should pay to fix it.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think if you are going to be on the road you should have insurance.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Nope.....but then, I don't believe in laws that require any kind of insurance.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Really, insurance is to pay for damage to other people and their property. Motorcycles are motor vehicles with odometers and can do almost no damage, so the insurance is super cheap. Since bicycles can do only a fraction of the damage of a motorcycle, it probably wouldn't be worth it for an insurance company to bother issuing these $10-15/year policies. Plus, since there's no title and no odometer, no one could tell the difference between one driven to work and one only driven recreationally. Why not treat it like damage by a pedestrian (like it is now) and save a whole lot of hassle?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No... That's one of the key reasons to take a bike - less cost!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• no, i dont.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 8:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Well, some of these bicycists around here are crazy! I mean they are suppose to obey certain laws too and most of the time you see them breaking them. They should be held accountable when they pedal through a red light and cause an accident. When I say there's huge amount of people on bikes, I mean HUGE amount. And you don't have to be near downtown. Just by my daughters school, I pass at least 50 bicyclists in a 5 minute time frame. They are not just leisurely bike riders out for a ride about town.
    Sacheen.T.

Comment by Sacheen.T. (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, I don't.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think anyone, even vehical drivers should be forced to purchase insurance.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree with the others who don't want any insurance, let alone more ... so no, I don't think bicycles should be insured.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2010