In all reality I am scared about giving birth, I have plans for an epidural already but I think I am going to go as long as possible before getting it. My question is on a scale of 1-10 what was your pain with natural child birth?

D:

MmmmMamaBear

Asked by MmmmMamaBear at 8:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 5.

Keep in mind that it gradually ramps up AND you can adjust your perception of pain.
    There are many ways to do this~~
    Preparing by understanding what is going on, what to expect, coping strategies, and especially support will help a lot!

Do you have a birth doula?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I thought I was going to have an epidural too, but labor moved so fast there was no time for it. So I ended up having a natural child birth, and it was that bad. Don't get me wrong, it did hurt, but you get over it. It's more of the fear of the unknown! And by the way, the breathing really did help!! Try to relax and remember it will be over before ya know it =)

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, I do not. I thought about getting one when i was around 15 weeks. I'm 27 today. I'm still on the fence about it. I've had ladies tell me their birth doula was worth the money and others say it was a waste.
    MmmmMamaBear

Comment by MmmmMamaBear (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My first Natural birth was unplanned, but I had only a 2 hour labor. My pain was about a 6 I think.
    After that I had 2 more natural births (no drugs) in a hospital. And the pain from those were about a 5. Painful but manageable.
    My last natural birth was at home and It was about a 3.

Have you spent any time reading to positive birth stories or listening to women tell about their natural births?
    In reality, I think most women that have planned natural (drug free) births have good experiences and are more then happy to tell you all about it.

What is your support team like? Have you been to some childbirth education classes? Who is going to be there with you? If you are serious about thinking about a drug free birth, you will need to make sure your support team is on board as well AND they know how to help you during labor.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You can do it!! I was planning an epidural with my 4th but got to the hospital too late and guess what, I survived. Granted I was screaming for an epidural but that was only because I was scared not because of the pain. Hell, I was already pushing and once you are pushing the pain is a lot less because you push against the pain of the contraction. It's too bad us women don't think we have the ability to have a natural birth. Labor is painful, not unbearable. From now on, all my future children will be born naturally. On a scale from 1 to 10, yea it's a 10 but it's only temporary.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Maybe you can think up some questions and concerns, what you might hope-expect from a doula and interview...
    You might also read HypnoBirthing and ask the doula about helpoing with this~ those women tend to have low-no pain....
    :-D

Are you reading, doing birth classes, etc?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would put mine at a 10+, but I had hours of back labor (and no more children after that).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My Mom had me with no drugs and she had an unpleasant experience. Several of close family members have had drug free births and recommend it and then other say epidurals all the way. My fiance and I did parenting classes and Monday we start birthing classes. My Mom, Fiance and my fiances Mom are going to be in the delivery room. My fiance is up for whichever way I want to give birth, as is his Mom, My Mom however thinks I will do better with an epidural but is on board no matter what I chose.
    MmmmMamaBear

Comment by MmmmMamaBear (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have 5 children meds were a lifesaver!!! My 5th child I was not so lucky. The epidural didnt have any effect on me at all! If he was my first I would only have 1 child. On a scale it was a billion!!!! But after 36 hours and I saw him all the pain in the world went away. Good luck!!!
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• doulala: I am actually reading into right now! haha. We did some parenting classes and start birthing classes monday.
    MmmmMamaBear

Comment by MmmmMamaBear (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010