breastfeeding and fertility woes!

So I am working on weaning my son who is almost 13 months in the hope that I can get my period back and get preggo with kiddo number 2! We have been trying for 3 months since I got my IUD out. But still no period.
This month we are down to nursing at 7pm, 4am and then he is on the boob from like 5-6 as we sleep til the alarm goes off. I don't know how to break him out of this habit of waking up at 4 or 5 am and fussing until he eventually gets on the boob to stay asleep. I wouldn't care if he was in the bed if he would sleep with me without the boob but I don't know what to do.
So even though I go 13 hours a day in between feedings could the being on the boob from 5-6 be inhibiting my fertility still. I am frustrated no sign of peroid. I have been taking vitex. MY mucus goes from snot like (TMI) to creamy and lots and lots of it. But no EWCM or period. And all HPT negative. What can I do?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• i would just work on weaning first before you start concentrating on ttc. i would just let him fuss in the morning and take away that feeding first. i know it sounds like it's gonna be torture, but usually they adapt quickly and learn another way to go back to sleep. my kids like listening to the music on their crib soothers to go back to sleep....maybe you could try something like that. but anyhow, i would just do the weaning first and then concentrate on trying to make another baby....both at once is alot of stress which of course is not good for ttc.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I didn't know if there was a way to increase fertilty without having to completely wean him.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Wean first then work on trying to conceive. That way your hormones are not fighting against each other. You can get pregnant in the absence of a period while breastfeeding. I don't reccomend it though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• When breastfeeding affects fertility, it's because it suppresses ovulation and/or shortens the luteal phase. Since you're not getting your period, then ovulation isn't occurring in your case. You cannot get pregnant without ovulating. Ovulation can occur at any time while breastfeeding; its return varies from woman to woman. The fact that you've already cut down on nursing so drastically and still no period means that you'll likely have to wean completely before your fertility will return. Just be forewarned that even then it could still take months for your body to get back to normal, and there's nothing you can do to speed up that process.

If you really want this to happen sooner rather than later, you need to concentrate first on weaning.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Well I have only drastically cut down this much feedings this month. So its been one month with drastically cut down feedings. So maybe it might take a bit longer to see a period?
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You don't have to have a period to conceive - you still ovulate. So if you baby dance every other day, you're guaranteed to hit the right times - whether the spermies choose to infiltrate is up to them - and up to your body to keep it when it happens. GL and babydust!
    Anonymous

• It's possible that it could take a bit longer since you just started cutting back. You can give it a couple of months and see what happens. If nothing by that point, though, you'll probably have to wean completely, and like I said before, it could still take a while.

And to correct Anonymous :40, generally speaking (except for very rare medical cases, and you would probably know if you were one), once you ovulate, you will have a period (unless you get pregnant, of course), about 1.5-2 weeks later. So except for that two weeks beforehand, no period means no ovulation. It is possible to have periods without ovulating, but not usually the other way around. The only way to go from birth to pregnancy with no period is to hit the right timing the one time it occurs before you would have started your period.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2010