Acceptance in church

I am christian and attend church.I recently started going to a new church.Here's the the thing.I struggle with acceptance in church.I have a rebel flag tatoo on my leg.I am ashamed of it and keep it hid.This tatt is from my past.Some 20 years ago when I was young.I'm 34 years old now and am not like that anymore.I want to be accepted in church without people judging me.This has always been a issue for me.I don't have the money to have the tatt removed.Anyone out there have any advice?

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• here's the thing, OP, as i see it. your tat is part of you, part of who you were at one time. its part of your history. perhaps its something that could strike up a conversation, perhaps its something that makes you different from someone else. it may not represent who you are TODAY, but its there, you can't hide it (apart from clothing/covering, or cosmetic product). why hide it? be proud of who you are today..because who you are today, has every bit to do with where you came from and who you once were.
    everyone of us has a past. i do. there are things i am not particularly proud of, but its still part of me, and i will proudly testify of my life and what/who got me to the place i am in today. you can't change the past, and your future is untold. what's important is what you do with today.
    anyone worthy of you will want to know you, and not care about your past. i promise, there's not a person in your church w/o a past.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Why wouldn't you be accepted? And what's wrong with a rebel flag tat? If they reject you because you have a tattoo, then its not the church you need to be in.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• well, in my church nobody would care truthfully lol. if it's more of a personal problem for you there is a product called 'the right to bare legs' by joan rivers....it covers up anything lol. and won't come off. so you could use that if you feel ashamed of the tattoo and it makes you uncomfortable. but truthfully the people in your church shouldn't care. and if they give you grief about it, well that just shows what kind of people THEY are more than it says anything about YOU as a person.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Is the church itself making you feel ashamed? Or you just feel ashamed about it? The church I attend could care less about a tattoo. And you shouldn't feel ashamed about it. If the church is rejecting you because of that, I would suggest finding a different church.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My suggestion to you is this.... release this fear of rejection into the Father's hands. Thats exactly what this is. People will act human because they forget who they are in Christ Jesus. Just do not forget who YOU are in Him, lovely and beautiful in His sight... tattoo and all. Shame cannot remain and it is up to you to also release that into God's hands. Lastly... don't let what other people think of you in the negative sense rob who you are in Him. In other words, do not allow them to control whether or not you are accepted. You are already accepted and adopted into the Heart of God the Father and His Beloved Son Jesus. What other people think is not for you to be concerned about! :-) When you let go.. you will be free to be who He created you to be! You are THAT precious to Him! Bless you!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010