Tips for breastfeeding when you have extra large breasts

Does anyone have any? I hate having to pull my breast away her nose constantly and only being able to nurse in the football hold position. It makes the 1 handed activity of breastfeeding become a 2 handed one.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For the record, breastfeeding is almost always a 2 handed activity lol. Some women get really good and can do it with one, but most of us require both.

It sounds like yo'ure still pretty early in the breastfeeding relationship. Baby will grow into your breasts more and more and soon you won't even need to look to nurse, baby will just do it :) I have large breasts and have to make an airway for my babies too, and it does get frustrating, but it's not a forever thing. Just take the time you need to nurse and make it quiet, relaxation time, since you can ONLY nurse anyway :) Just make it "mommy-baby" time and enjoy it and let the rest go for a while.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Have you tried side by side? facing eachother?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Agree with first poster - try laying on the bed facing each other. You should be able to offer her either breast. I am a FF and I had trouble with the football hold too - nothing worked except laying down. The plus side is that it's easier on your back too - you don't have to support her at all. Good luck!! I feel your pain, I had such a hard time at first too!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had the same problem, one of the main reasons I gave up. My back was always killing me from just trying to find a good enough position to nurse him in.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Laying was one of the easiest ways for me to bf, I would try that. It is not fun holding away your boob from the nose but totally worth it, just keep telling yourself that.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Get a nursing pillow to help with the back pain and as far as the breast covering baby nose possibly changing positions will help with this. Good Luck !
    Sheleekieije

Answer by Sheleekieije at 10:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• For me, this worked. My breasts are large enough so that when the baby is on the boppy, he is at breast level already lol, so if I'm nursing from the right breast, I use my right hand to hold and position my breast, and the baby lies in the boppy. If I had to move the breast away from baby's nose, all I had to do was move my thumb a little.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Mine are not huge, but still big (D). Positioning is key for me, although sometimes I hear her trying to breathe as they are pressing against her nose. I move and reposition. My son is now 22 months and he just learned on his own after time to reposition for the best way that fit him and DD is starting to do the same thing. As they get older, they take charge and do what they need to for comfort and feeding. I never use two hands anymore so maybe in a few weeks your baby will be doing all the work! stay blessed! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• PS I also use the bobby pillow. And PLEASE be careful to not fall asleep when feeding laying down! It is really easy to do and baby can suffocate easily that way. GL
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• it is dishardening to say the least...
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010