How much sleep does the average 1 year old need?

I mean if he goes to sleep at 7 and sleeps til 4am that is 9 hours. Is it realistic for him to sleep much longer? How many hours does the average 1 year old need.
Maybe I should try to keep him up longer?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that a one year old average is between 10-14 hours, but of course average does not equal normal. It may be that 9 hours is perfectly normal for your baby, while being below average length. I would say if you do not want to wake up at 4:00 put him to sleep later!. Both of my kids had a 4am wake-up until they were over a year, but it was only for a quick nurse (or bottle) and then they would go back to sleep. Have you tried putting him to bet after a quick rock or snuggle? Good luck!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my kids all sleep for 12 hours, and my 1yo takes a nap too. my nephew sleeps for 8 hours with a nap. it just depends on the kid i think. i would try putting him to bed at 8 and see if he'll get up at a better time lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• at one, my ds slept for 9-10 hours at night plus a 2-3 hour nap during the day. But each kid is different. My niece is almost 3 and sleeps 12 hours per night and 2 1-2 hour naps during the day!
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The average sleep for a 1 year old is 13.5-13.75 hours. This includes 11.5 hours at night and 2-2.25 hours of naps during the day. If you want him to sleep later, put him to bed earlier. It doesn't make sense, but it works! If you need more help, visit my group, Helping Your Child Sleep. http://www.cafemom.com/group/112077
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 7:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I put my DS and DD to bed later because my husband doesn't get home until about 630 and if I put them down earlier he would never see and enjoy them. It also helps them sleep later in the day. I get them in the bath at 10pm and feed and dress them for bed etc. Bath-Bottle-Bed. I am still nursing my 5 month old. I still have to get up to nurse her and I get up around 630 to give him a bottle and change his diaper. They both go right back to sleep and usually don't get up until between 930-1030.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2010