fulltime RVing and child custody

So, here's the deal, my ex and I have joint legal and physical. I have them during the school week because I homeschool and he has them on the weekends. My husband just lost his job and can't find another one so we're thinking of renting our house out and traveling the country for a year. My husband has already started networking with tattoo shops where he could do guest spots while we travel. So I want to ask my ex if I can fly the girls out every other month for 6 weeks instead our current arrangement. I'm not gonna ask him to pay for any of it unless it turns into a court battle. But does anyone have an idea what my chances are of winning that in court? I think it would be a great learning experience for my kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would love to do that myself. Travel around in an RV and homeschool my kids.
    As far as your situation goes it depends on your husband. The court would most likely frown upon you traveling around the country in an RV with the kids though. They'd probably want to give your kids a stable home with their father. Due to the RV life being unstable and unpredictable.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I meant *It depends on your ex, not your husband. As to whether he'd go for it or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

• I watched a documentary on a family that did that, and their kids were miserable... They didn't see their friends, and were basically homeless.
    I wouldn't agree to something like that. A judge is going to look at whats in the best interests of the children, and I'm afraid this isn't.
    Stability, and routine are going to be 2 major things the judge will consider. I think you'd better sit down and really think about this. It seems to me you're living by the seat of your pants, and to me that doesn't teach your children anything but irresponsibility.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think that MsLeftlane is right. If it wound up going to court I think that they would put the kids in the most stable environment.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Every other month for 6 weeks? So out of the 9 weeks in 2 months, you'd only have them 3? Either I'm a little confused or you typed that wrong. Can't answer any farther that that at this point!
    Anonymous

• i agree, i dont think that is gonna hold in court. If it was just for the summer, thats fine, but longer is pushing it.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010