Has anyone ever thought........

That their baby would accidently be switched at birth!?I had a dream and although it would be highly unlikely I am now worrying that this could happen to my child.This is my first pregnancy so I guess little insignificant things worry me, but how long is the baby away from the mother after delivery if there are no complications and what procedures do they have to insure this not to happen?

Sarah0306

Asked by Sarah0306 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• No not really. They have what I call "Baby Lo Jack". Immediately after your baby is born they put this anklet on your baby and if the baby is taken past a certain point in the hospital, an alarm sounds. Also, they can scan it and your information pops up. So, no, I never thought about either one of my sons being switched at birth. But, I did have all kinds of messed up dream during both of my pregnancies.

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• At the hospital I delivered at they put a bracelet on her with my name on it and we had matching ID numbers before she even left the room and they showed me and had me sign something saying the info on her bracelet matched the onfo on mine. (They made me check it myself)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 7:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• all mothers have weird dreams like that, but in the hospital they give you baby and daddy matching id bracelets and also a alarm around the babies ankle so no one can take them out of the nursery ward as well
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 7:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Most hospitals have i.d.'s to prevent switching at birth. How long the baby is out of the room varies, you might want to ask your dr. You might even be able to have them do everything in your room, although you don't really want them to do the blood work in your room it hurts hearing your LO cry.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 7:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I was worried to with my daughter with my son he was taken straight to the nicu so he was safe. but with my daughter she was so pretty. I made her daddy stay with her til they brought her back to me and i could see all the ids on her then i was fine.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 8:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• my kids never left my room unless hubby went with them.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 8:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The only time my baby was away from me was when he got his 1st bath and got circumsized. They check your hospital bracelets to make sure they match before you leave.
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 10:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2008