Reactions to whole milk in young children

How can you tell if your one year old is having issues with whole milk. My 13 month old loves whole milk and whole fat yougurt. He eats yougurt twice a day and drinks whole milk four or five times a day. He doesn't seem to have a hurt tummy and isn't very gassy. However he has been pooping 5 or 6 and sometimes 7 times a day. They are not diahrea stools but are looser then normal. Because of it he has developed a bad diaper rash this week. But he is not unhappy.
Does this mean he is lactose intolarant or is it just way too much dairy for a young baby? On a side note he is a very regular kid who even when he was entirely on breastmilk pooped at least 4 or 5 times a day even at 11 months.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would just cut out the drinking of milk and see if that helps... they don't need to drink milk at all. and just to see you could cut out all dairy all together for a week and see if it improves. then if it does improve you know it's all that dairy bothering him. then i would just give him 1 lowfat yogurt a day. that's what i did for my son and now he's 5 and can eat cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc. to his heart's content without any problems.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sounds like he's just getting too much milk. I would reduce his intake a little bit. Give him water to drink as well...and I will say juice (diluted) as well.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You could try a reduced fat milk to see if the situation improves.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• He sounds healthy to me...Milk does make you poop a lot, so you may want to reduce the amount he's drinking and replace that with other foods, but beyond that...I doubt that the milk caused the loose stools....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would say cut out some of the milk.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• actually milk causes loose stool in my DS. Which is why i give him 1/2 Almond Milk and half Dairy.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I dunno, my daughter did fine with any type of milk. We just gave her what we were drinking.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It sounds like he is getting way to much milk. He doesn't need 7 glasses of milk a day on top of yogurt. I never gave whole milk, which is pretty heavy. My son went right on 2% milk, per the doctor. His peditrican also said 8 oz of milk a day, 4 oz of juice and the rest should be water. If he is eating other dairy products, he does not need as much milk as he is getting.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• That is waaaaay too much for any kid, or adult for that matter. 3 servings per day - 1 serving is 8 oz of milk or yogurt, 1 oz of cheese. So if he's eating 2 cups of yogurt per day, 1 cup of milk is plenty. I'm kind of surprised, usually you hear of kids being stopped up when they have too much dairy. But yeah, cut the kid back big time and that should help. I wouldn't go to reduced fat yet though, stick with the whole, and 3 servings.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I will try cutting him back on dairy. Thanks!
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010