pack and play as a bassinet?

I really would hate to buy two bassinets for my twins that are due in two weeks.. so we got a pack and play that has a "full size bassinet" built it according to the box. it's def big enough for the twins (I only want to use it the first 2-3 months) but the pad just seems so thin and doesnt seem comfy at all.... I tried looking for a pad the same size that I can just throw over it but I cant find one that seems to fit.... any ideas? or has anyone had to do something similar?

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 8:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• all bassinets have thin pads. you're not supposed to add any more padding because that increases the risk for sids.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My daughter sleeps in a pack in play and that's the only place she'll sleep. She started out in the bassinet part and we tried moving er to a crib with a better mattress but she wouldn't sleep in it so she's back in the play pen =)
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 8:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• yes thats understandable... I'm not talking about a plush type of pad but I did compare the thiness to a friends pad in her regular bassinet... basically if I put a little pressure on it with my hand in the pack n play I can feel the hard cardboard.
    FITmama2B

Comment by FITmama2B (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had a pack'n play with that and we traveled about 4 days a week it worked great. Are you really putting two babies in it though? Thats not a good idea
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 9:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree with princessbeth. They dont seem reall comfy, but what I did was I bought a vedge that the baby sleeps on so he/she will not roll and it was padded, a real life saver!! I bought it at Babies R Us !! Also to reduce SIDS keep a fan on low not facing the baby but just enough to let air circulate!
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My SIL used her pack n play as a bassinet for her twins earlier this year, but you have to keep in mind that the upper pad has a low weight limit. I believe it may be something like 15 lbs or so, then they have to be on the bottom. She ended up having two pack n plays, but later they took I also used a pack n play with my son, and he was fine in it. We used ours more for daytime and travel. I think the pads are thin for a reason. You don't want anything too soft that can get in the babies' faces. It's a SIDS risk. Good luck! :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• with baby number one, he slept in a bassinet for 1 month and then in his pack and play until he was a year old. With baby number 2, she slept in the pack and play from the day we brought her home. We didn't have money for fancy cribs or stuff like that and the bassinet that we had used with our son was a hand me down that didn't last.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 9:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my kids has such bad reflux I needed to have them not laying flat....I used the big crib with wedges and turned the baby so that they could push off the side of the crib with their feet. I have dogs and wanted my kids up high and in a solid bed...you have to see what kind of mom you are..do you like the baby everywhere you are even if its noisy or do you like you kids in their sleeping spot and make a quiet peaceful place.....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• @seturkey... keeping twins in the same bassinet/crib are fine the first few months when they are imobile.... and if you're extra worried you just put them in one of those wearable blankets instead of swaddling them with a regular blanky... they have their own cribs and their own room so this is def not a long term thing...
    FITmama2B

Comment by FITmama2B (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Have you checked the weight limit on the bassinet? We just bought two and I'm pretty sure the bassinet insert is only rated for 15 pounds total weight.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2010