Is this disrespectful? What would you do?

If you were on the phone with your SO and for whatever reason, he/she was getting frustrated and told you to "shut up", would that be disrespectful to you? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• to some people that would not be a big deal. to me, however, it is a huge deal. i don't tell anyone to shut up and my hubby knows that is a huge no-no. some people say it all the time. i think it's disrespectful and i would tell him so and that he hurt my feelings.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Depends on how belligerent and nasty I was being. My husband has told me to shut up once and it was because I was being loud and mean and not listening to him at all. I have learned that being nice to each other is paramount to having a good relationship and since I don't like being told to shut up, I really should shut up some times lol.

If it was out of the blue and being nasty then I would be pissed, but if we were fighting and I wasn't listening and he told me to shut up I would understand.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If my fiance told me to shut up it would be the start of WW3
    MmmmMamaBear

Answer by MmmmMamaBear at 9:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yeah I think if anyone told me to shut up, whether my DH or anyone else, its disrespectful. I understand they could be frustrated etc., but there is no need for that kind of rudeness.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 9:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think we all need to hear that on occasion and I would prefer it come from my SO than someone else. I know I need a reality check sometimes.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 9:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yep to me that is disrespectful and just not something that we say to eachother.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Tell him calmly that that is an unpleasant term and you'd prefer that he not use it. Tell him what he can say instead to get you to stop if he needs to. If he is simply exasperated with you and has had enough and wants you to cease talking, in other words, if he spoke in anger, then this is a separate issue. But he should have enough self-control to not use offensive terms when angry. Anger does not excuse rude language.

Answer by Bmat at 9:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If he told me to shut up, I'd just tell him to shut up. We don't let little things like that bother us.

Seriously, it's kind of ridiculous and childish to get that upset over two little words.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My Husband has told me to shut up before in an argument and I find it very disrespectful. However, I've also said the same thing out of anger. It is childish and uncalled for, but sometimes in anger we're not exactly clear thinkers.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Not that i don't tell my husband to Shut- Up Alot; mostly b/c he has a Big Mouth-LOL Unless, it's joking around- it is pretty Disrespectful!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010