does anyone have issues with chronic insomnia?

Are there any ideas you can share that can help me? Any truly effective meds or routines? I am going on 6 years as an insomniac....

tonbookluvr

Asked by tonbookluvr at 9:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Health

• That would be me too. I've had sleep issues for the better part of 15 years. Anxiety and Depression had a lot to do with it, but even on the meds, I still have anxiety at night. I've tried everything from good sleep hygiene, cutting caffeine, even binaural beats to help. I've been on many medications like regular ambien, lunesta, benadryl, trazadone. Ambien CR has worked the best. I hope to one day be off of it and able to sleep again, but almost half of my life has been plagued by insomnia.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have not found anything and am too afraid to start any medications but someone suggested melatonin which is natural it did not work for me. It is worth a try though.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I deal with this....sometimes its a few times a month, sometimes its a few times a week. Its the worst. Just happened to me last night. Woke at 4 am and could not get back to sleep until after 6... I sit and battle with myself if I should just get up and do something productive or continue to try and go to sleep. I always just lay there, I've never gotten up...maybe I should try that. Do you get up or stay in bed? I have no solution, just understanding. Its awful.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I've suffered from insomina for years and although many of the over the counter sleep meds can help, I found that they give me restless leg syndrome so I don't use them anymore. Next time you're at the doctor tell him your problem and let him start you on some kind of medicine to help you sleep. Their are many different kinds and you may need to try each one for a few days until you find one that really works. I have been using 5mg of ambian for months now and I get a good nights sleep every night... it's heaven!! Good Luck!
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 9:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have had it my whole life. Getting on meds for anxiety and depression has helped tremendously. It was anxiety that was keeping me from falling asleep at night, so treating the anxiety helps my sleep. It's not 100%, but every year it gets better and better. Oh and having a baby helped too - I was forced to grab sleep when I could, and my body got into a different sleep rhythm.

There are also things I do when I want to wind down at night that really help me. Because my mind's racing thoughts are what keeps me from relaxing, I occupy my mind with things that are very involved or complex, like logic puzzles, sudoku, or crosswords. it's hard to worry about life when you are straining your brain over a puzzle. I also found that listening to books on tape would put me right out, even if ti's an interesting book.

Good luck!! I know how insomnia can truly wreck your life, it's awful.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010