Do you think justice is ever really served or are they just looking for someone to pay the price?

The movie "Conviction" is making me wonder how many innocent people are thrown in jail and why does the justice department throw these innocent people in jail in stead of working hard to find the real criminals to pin the punishment on?

Do you believe justice is really served or are they just looking for someone to pay the price?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 9:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I understand that ARE innocent people in prison, however, I'm a firm believer in the idea of a fair trial... Today, with DNA and forensics - yes there are still mistakes - but I think people are more likely to be guilty if they are put in prison... So yes, I do believe justice is served in most cases... I also believe that many of our laws force us to simply fill the slot with a body... Many of the time limits which we place on law enforcement were put in to place to protect people from being wrongly convicted because of false evidence, however with the advancements we have today, I don't think they should still be in place... It would allow for a more thorough investigation and better tests to be run on evidence and the like... So I think there are two sides to this - as with everything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I worked in the legal system for many years. I worked for a defense attorney. I never ever met a client that was innocent. I honestly don't think it happens very often
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 11:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Every system has flaws and mistakes get made. Our legal system is designed so that the burden of proof rests on the prosecution. If the burden of proof is met then a jury has no choice but to pronounce a guilty verdict, strictly from a legal stand point. A jury cannot render a verdict on what they think or feel, they are bound by the law. The flip side of this is how many people are walking free who should be in jail because of a technicality? How many victims are disregarded because the rights of the accused are constitutionally supported? Funny how there are statutes of limitations on certain crimes but the appeals system for the convicted seems never ending.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2010