What is the best way to ease a lil guy's cough?

I've used a vaporizer in his room, but it doesn't seem to ease it enough. The triage nurse said there was little else I could do but let the cough run its course. He's almost 17 months old.

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 9:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Vick's for the humidifier it fills the room. Also, elevate the head of his bed so that drainage goes down and not cause cough.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Put Vicks VapoRub on the bottom of his feet, put on a pair of socks and let him sleep. It will help clear up the congestion. Just wash his feet in the morning.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i also use the Homeopathic cough syrup for kids at whole foods
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Watch giving him any kind of medicine to curb the cough. The reasons they have stopped making most of that kind of thing is because it has been shown that more little ones are getting pneumonia because their lungs get infections because they can't cough out what they would have normally if it wouldn't have been suppressed.

Listen to the medical professional -- a cool-mist vaporizer. If you are concerned, take him to his Ped tomorrow and maybe he will prescribe something...otherwise, yeah, I'd just play it safe and listen to the nurse.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You can give him 1/2 tsp childrens mucinex (the regular kind) and 1/2 tsp children's benadryl. The mucinex will help him move the stuff out of his chest while the benadryl will quiet the tickle coughs and help him rest better.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• A spoonful of honey :) It coats the throat, has antimicrobial properties, and he will love the taste. Chamomile tea (brewed with actual chamomile flowers) will help, too.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I put vicks vaporub for babies on their chest, play time in the bathroom with a hot shower going to make steam (with me in there so they don't get too hot), and try to prop up their head. If they still fit in an infant bouncy seat or something similar that works best (they cannot roll sidways across the bed), or prop up the head end of their bed, and you can always sit up holding them all night.
    Something else that I do (that usualy does nothing because they are fighting me too much) is try to get what they are coughing up with a long tip asperator bulb (the thing that they gave you at the hospital).
    Hope he feels better soon!
    rewoif

Answer by rewoif at 9:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Do not give honey to a child under 2, it can cause botchilism.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010