my son wont sleep during the day?!?!?!

my 2month old son WILL NOT sleep during the day. he has done this since birth. From 8am to 9pm today he has only had 1 HOUR worht of 10-15min cat naps. He is miserable. He fights sleep and when he does fall asleep he wakes back up in just a few min. Around twice a wk I can get him to take a good 3hr nap and thats it all day. has anyone gone through this? anything I can do to help him? He's not in any pain, he just doesnt want to miss out on anything. I dont mind that he's awake hes happy all morning but come 4pm he starts getting really crabby and by 9pm I'm a nervous wreck :(

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should try the swing....it works wonders with my 9 weeks old son...he takes his naps in his swing everyday! : )
    Ms.TM

Answer by Ms.TM at 9:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It sounds like he is like my daughter was. I had to put her in a snuggly and carry her around the house beacause she cried all the time unless she was being held. It was a pain in the butt, although it did work. As she got older I tried letting her comfort herself. She did learn how to calm herself down after a while. The other thing that worked well for her was the swing. She would only stay in it for a little while, although it was long enough to get some things done.

Good Luck and Stay Strong!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my son hates the swing :( I thought he would love it but cried every time we put him in it.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Ive tried a sling too. He likes it while on a walk but not around the house.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my daughter has been doing the same thing she is 2.5 months it drives me nuts.. Although I can get her to sleep about maybe 3 hours a day... I can't get anything to work either unless I sit and hold her the whole time then she will sleep for a couple hours but I can't do that all the time I have other things that I have to get done! :( I wish I could but it's just not possible... I don't have an answer for you just wanted you to know ur not alone!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my son was like that to. I learned it was bc he was overtired. I also took him to a chiropractor twice so far and I can honestly say that was the difference. Maybe call some chiros and see if they work with babies. Im telling you....wonders!
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Put him in his bed and turn off the light....let him cry for a few minutes and see if he goes to sleep....it sounds like he's fighting sleep and any stimulation wakes him up...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You can try swaddling, white noise, and a completely dark room. At 9 weeks, the maximum awake time is about 40 minutes. This means there's anough time for a feed, diaper change, 5-10 minutes of activity and then back to sleep. Place your child down for a nap and allow him to fuss. If he bgins to get agitated, you can pick him up, bounce, rock etc., until he's calm and then put him back down. You may have to keep doing this for a while but he will eventually get the hang of it. If you have more questions, visit my group, Helping Your Child Sleep. http://www.cafemom.com/group/112077 Good Luck!
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 7:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Routine is usually the key to getting babies to sleep. Although it might not happen all at once, try to do the same things each time such as putting him to sleep in the same room, same place, same blanket, same feeding prior to, etc. Old fashioned rocking can help bc baby is close to mom, or have you tried the "bouncy seats" they have? They have a vibration button and some have music too as well as a bouncing motion when they move their legs. My ds LOVED his seat. My dd tolerates hers. lol She does better nursing and being held. Good Luck! I know you need a moment or two to yourself!! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2010