My OB called and said I have to go back for an extensive pap(forgot the term used) because there were a few abnormal cell. Now I've been with my husband for 2 years and have an 8 month old. Had paps done before and all have been normal. I'm freaking out because I don't know if it's hpv or what, and I it is, how in the world did it not show up before?? It's completely out of the question if you're thinking my husband and I were unfaithful. Thank you for your responses!

xoxneanxox

Asked by xoxneanxox at 9:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have had 2 abnormal pap smears in the last 3 years and they always turned out to be nothing. If it is something at least they most likely caught it in time to do something about it. Until you and your Dr know more about what it could be I wouldn't worry about it too much. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No need to worry about this... it is fairly common to have an abnormal pap and most of the time it has nothing at all to do with HPV. My sister had those several times and she has been faithfully married for almost 20 years. It turned out to be nothing each time. They did cryosurgery once and it seems to have resolved now.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i am the opposite. i have ALWAYS had abnormal paps, except for 2. i do not have HPV and they have done a laser biopsy twice (which hurts like a SOB, imagine having acid poured on your skin, times about 1000 because they can't numb the area) thankfully both biopsy's came back non-cancerous but my OBGYN still has no clue what has caused the abnormal paps.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Same here. It was the 7th day of my period and my pap came out abnormal. The nurse that called to reschedule scared me and it was because the test did not complete, inconclusive. Why do they have to scare us like that??? GL , you'll be fine.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The procedure is called a colposcopy. It's where they take samples of your cervical tissue. It's NOT STD related! The only STD it could be is HPV, which they generally don't even test for because approximately 50% of Americans have it. It doesn't do much but increase the risk for PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) and for cervical cancer, which is what the Pap is testing for. So they found abnormal cells, which MAY or MAY NOT mean there are precancerous cells there. That's why they're following up with the colposcopy. The doc will go in with the speculum (the duck thing) and a light, and if he/she sees anything that doesn't look like normal healthy tissue, they will cut it out and send it to the pathologist to analyze it for cancerous or precancerous cells.
    This is NOT related to sexual partners, I promise!!
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've assisted in this procedure many times.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• hpv can live in your system without being detected your whole life. The funny thing is pregnancy can bring it out of "sleep".. like other ppl said it prob is nothing but if it is hpv it doesn't mean that either one of you cheated just that you was carrying it and know it decided to come out!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had an abnormal PAP when I was 22-ish and it scared the crap out of me. Come to find out the results were wrong. Don't worry until you have something to worry about.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have had hpv for 20 years (the cancer-causing kind, not the genital warts kind) and sometimes I have normal paps, sometimes not. If you do have it, you could have had it way before your husband ever came along and it just never appeared. It's no biggie - just go in when they tell you to. Dont' ever miss a pap, ever. You'll be fine :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Some people get HPV from birth. And they carry it and it is dormant and then something happens (like a pregnancy) and it surfaces.

Tests are false all the time. Don't worry.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Thank you all SO much for your responses! They've all put my mind at ease. My appt isnt until the 25th so I'll updat when I get those results. Thank you again!
    xoxneanxox

Comment by xoxneanxox (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Oct. 15, 2010