Would you expect your in-laws to come see the new grandbaby in the hospital?

When our kids were born my family came from all over to see us at the hospital after they were born. My in-laws couldn't be bothered to make the half hour trip since we picked a hospital that wasn't in the same town where they lived. But, we were expected to bring the girls to see them as soon as we were released. If it were me, I would want to go see the new baby. What do you think?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• Unless there is a reason that they cannot physically get in a car and drive half an hour, yes, I would absolutely expect them to come see the babies! They should understand that it is an undertaking to get one child into a car seat for half an hour, much less two! That is just not acceptable. They are being spoiled and extremely selfish. How should you approach this? If you don't want to cause a rift in the relationship with your in-laws, you might ask your husband to say something. If he is too chicken to stand up to his parents, speak to them yourself. Try something like, "I understand that you have a busy life, but it really hurt me when you did not come to see your new grandchildren in the hospital. I want them to be a part of your life too." That should guilt them into making more of an effort. ;-)
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If they are within an hour away, yes they better come see.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• yes i would expect them to come
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would expect them to come
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Where does your new baby fall in the pecking order?
    I have babies 7 and 8 - my parents waited until we were home, that was fine with me.
    They went to see my sister - 9th grand child, because it's important to her.

After the first several grand children, grand parents wait unless they think you're hard up for attention.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would expect them to come and bring dinner. You can use the exuse that you don't want to take the new baby in the car that far yet, and you don't feel like/have time to cook a dinner and are tired of takeout.
    rewoif

Answer by rewoif at 9:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yep I would expect them. I had to work to keep mine away! O.o

My MIL was a bit insistent that she be allowed in the room while I gave birth. Uh... NO thanks!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Unless they are cripled and elderly, they should have come to see the baby, imho. If they are crippled and elderly, then you should go see them. But who wants a new mom who just had a child to have to go out of their way? That wasn't nice of them.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My DIL, has a baby , I WILL BE THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is and will be my grand-baby........

It would take car trouble, or something bad, for me not to be there♥♥♥♥
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• yeah i would expect it if they weren't like disabled, too far away or had some other mitigating circumstances. but if they could not see their grandchild in the hospital they should definitely travel in to see the baby. especially at the distance you spoke of. to me it is just a matter of courtesy to go see a new baby whether in the hospital or at the babys home. the mother and baby should not have to travel anywhere for the first couple of weeks especially not to visit someone.
    Babiluv80

Answer by Babiluv80 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010