How long does it take your 4th grader to finish their homework?

It takes my child at least 2 hours to write 20 spelling words 3 times each, read her story for the week, do math worksheet, and do her vocabulary words. And I dont want to talk about study time cause that takes even longer, it seems like it shouldn't. Sometimes I think that she has a learning disorder. She's suppose to be in the 5th grade, but I held her back in 1st grade. She has made the A/B honor a few times since then. I feel like she is suppose to be smarter because of her age and I believe that she can, but lately she has been bringing home alot of bad grades and she has also been getting into trouble at school. I am the type of parent who sits with their child and help with homework so when she brings home a D or a F, I really feel bad. Does anyone else has the same problem with their child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Every child is different. Let her take all the time she needs to complete her work and offer your help. Since you mentioned trouble at school, talk to her and try to find out what is going on. Could it be that she is being bullied? Could it be that she is not able to see the board well? Talk to her teachers, too, and ask them to be honest and let you know what is going on there. If there is not a problem that anyone is aware of, take her for evaluation for learning disorders. Always, always give her 100% of your support.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my son has been known to take 3.5 hours to do about 12 math problems other days he is done in less than 30 minutes.
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It should not take her more than an hour to do her work...an hour is even a bit long. Have you talked to the teacher about your concerns? Maybe it is time for a parent-teacher conference if you haven't had one yet?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Less than 30 minutes.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• In my experience teachers will tell you that an assignment should only take "X" amount of time, because THEY can do it that quickly!

Dont go in expectin resolution, but do try to talk to the teacher about it.

My kindergartner grand daughter takes 20 min or more to do her homework, that I could do in minutes, and teacher says should only take 10 min. The teacher and I have an agreement that if grand daughter cant finish within 15 min, we will stop. For the kindergarten, homework isnt attatched to her grade thankfully...but I might have to deal with grade attatched homework in a year or so...and a sit down with the teacher is clearly in my future LOL
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 1:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Since you are helping and sitting with her while she's doing the homework, then you know what she struggles with and what she knows. My daughter is 9 and in the 4th grade and she takes forever to do her homework as well. I sit with her, help her as much as possible but she's still slow. I allow her to be slow and not push her. She has picked up on time with her spelling words and writing out the sentences faster than she was doing but it took a little bit of time for her to get quicker. If you have any doubts about her learning, talk with the teacher and see if she notices anything with your child.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010