Breastfeeding???

I am exclusively breastfeeding my 1 1/2 month old when we go out I am wanting to use a bottle so I won't have to worry about nursing the only problem is that he wont take the bottle (dr. brown bottles) I want to know what kind of bottle works best for bf babies???

babycakeschris

Asked by babycakeschris at 9:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's very, very common. Are you giving her formula or pumped milk? She may not like the taste of formula (have you ever tried it?).
    Every baby has a different preference for what bottle they like. You might have to buy one of a lot of different kinds to figure out what works for her. Or find a way to nurse in public comfortably. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Well, an exclusively breastfed baby is most likely not going to take a bottle from mommy. You may have to get dad or someone else to do it. Also,do your Dr Brown's have the small nipples or the larger ones? I loved Dr. Brown's when my oldest was a baby. I gave him pumped milk exclusively and those were great for his reflux. My daughter is EBF and will not take a Dr Brown's bottle. She prefers the Playtex Drop Ins because they are closer to the breast.

Also, nursing in public is easier than you probably think it is right now. When my daughter was a newborn, I didn't feel very comfortable with it, but over time, with some good covers and nursing tanks, we've gotten quite good at it and it's so much easier than trying to get her to take a bottle. The only time she gets bottles is at the sitter's.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My daughter never took formula and she hated dr. brown's bottles .... she would take pumped breastmilk out of an Adiri bottle.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• A lot of babies won't take the bottle from mom. Why take a bottle when the source is right there?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My DS would only take the nuk bottles...but he would never latch on so i had to pump and give the bottle. You can try it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I went through every expensive bottle you can imagine with my youngest but he didn't like any of them. I ended up trying the playtex drop ins but had to buy the rubbery nipple that was fatter on the top...they were hard to find but they were the only thing he would take and he still didn't love it. It would just get him by while I was at work. I ended up just becoming very comfortable BFing in public ;)
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I pump and try to give it to him in a bottle but he still wont take it and the dr.brown nipple is the small ones. I use nursing tanks and bras but my husband is scared that someone will want to see the baby and out of no where uncover me it has happened twice at wal-mart by strangers can you say akward lol
    babycakeschris

Comment by babycakeschris (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• A lot of breastfed babies don't care for bottles in general and go through nipple confusion. That being said, I know some working Mom's that have had good luck with the Playtex Natural Shape bottle nipples.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If you are in a situation that is not comfortable, go somewhere else to bf. I go to my car now that the weather is cooler. I don't tell anyone what I am doing, I excuse myself by saying that the baby needs to be changed and the diapers are in the car.
    rewoif

Answer by rewoif at 10:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had luck using the Playtex bottles
    Sheleekieije

Answer by Sheleekieije at 10:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010