whats really too high?

so today i went to my routine prenatal appt my doctor takes my bp its 120/80 shes says thats kinda high and my pressure is suppose to be lower, if it continues to be that "high" shes gonna put me on high risk....now before my pregnancy my blood pressure was 100/70 i dont see a big difference if u ask me....am i wrong or is my doctor a bit over dramatic?

gbabyinc10

Asked by gbabyinc10 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Granted I am a consistent 90/60 girl, so I don't have much experience with anything higher...but I thought 120/80 was an average BP. Also. the consistency of your blood pressure means something too.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• 120/80 is perfect blood pressure!!!! sorry but your doc is a dumbass. high blood pressure means the top number is over 135
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Your pressure is high for YOU and that is what your doctor is concerned about. She is looking out for your well being and watching for preeclampsia, a condition that typically starts after the 20th week of pregnancy and is related to increased blood pressure and protein in the mother's urine (as a result of kidney problems). Preeclampsia affects the placenta, and it can affect the mother's kidney, liver, and brain. When preeclampsia causes seizures, the condition is known as eclampsia--the second leading cause of maternal death in the U.S. Preeclampsia is also a leading cause of fetal complications, which include low birth weight, premature birth, and stillbirth.

Be glad that she would rather err on the side of caution and keep you and your baby healthy.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• She's concerned, because for most women, your blood pressure actually DROPS during pregnancy, so the fact that it's gone up is what's concerning her. Like neebug said, it's an indication of preeclampsia, which is very dangerous
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• the other day i took i my bp and it was 100/60 but today i was fasting for that glucose test...im a emt and ive seen some high bps in pregnant women i asked a few of my doctor friends they dont see any concern especially at 120/80 now if i was 130/90 and above constantly ok i would definitely agree with her.....but we shall see other then that baby is very active so im happy with that
    gbabyinc10

Comment by gbabyinc10 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My bp is normally 120/80 and my doctors don't consider that high for me.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• In order to have high blood pressure the top number needs to be over 135 and the bottom number needs to be over 85. Other then that you are fine. I had high blood pressure with my first and now again with my second and both have now resulted in preeclampsia. My blood pressure currently 141/87 (taken about twenty minutes ago) and I am on meds for it, your blood pressure is completely normal.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2010