Should I stay for my MIL's surgery?

Next week my mother in law is having a screw removed from her leg (she broke her leg a few years ago and now needs a screw taken out). She is spending the night at our house the night before and I have to take her to the hospital. She's upset because I don't want to stay there while she has her surgery (we live less than a block from the hospital, I will be very close). Should I feel bad because I don't want to stay? Is there a reason for me to be there?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 10:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• just be honest with if your not confortable going to the hospital then tell her
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, you should not feel bad, but you should consider it if you want to maintain a good relationship with her. That type of surgery does not take that long and if it will make her more comfortable knowing that someone is there in case anything happens during her surgery, you can at least do that for her.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• She is having my brother in law and his wife there all day, she won't be alone. I guess I should have mentioned that part.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You're there supporting her during a surgery!! You should feel bad; how would you like it if the roles were reversed? What if you were the one who needed surgery and the person dropping you off (mother-in-law) didn't stick around for you? I think it's rude to even think of not staying (whether or not you live a block away from the hospital). What if something went wrong and they needed to find you fast only to see that you weren't in the waiting room? What if the time they waste figuring out where you are (finding out you went home) was precious time and could cost your mother-in-law her life?

Personally, I think it's selfish of you to leave. I think you should stay with her.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You should feel bad!! Why wouldnt' you want to stay and support her? Wonder if the shoe was reversed? You would be upset and thinking that she didn't care about you...it's your husbands mother...why wouldn't you stay for her? If you don't do it for her atleast do it for your husband...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010