Gestational Dietbeties????

I just got a call form my doctor's office about 5 minutes ago saying that My glucose test came back abnormal and that i now need to do the 3 hour glucose test because I may have gest dietbedies (sp?) Anyways my question is for the mom's that do have it, what are they having you do everyday is it just taking a pill or what? I never had this with my son so I am unsure of what to expect.

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 7:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i know some moms have to take a shot every day
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Gestational Diabetes isn't a one size fits all kind of thing, it varies from person to person and from pregnancy to pregnancy. During my first, I just had to closely monitor my diet with a nutritionist. Same with the second time. The last time, I tested positive at 9 weeks gestation and ended up having to have insulin shots 4x a day. Whatever they decide with you, you'll end up having to monitor your blood sugar with a glucose meter if they determine you have it. That's just a finger prick in the morning before eating and then one hour after every meal. Good luck with it (hope you don't have it).
    Anonymous

• It's a pain in the butt, but the worry is that your baby will be huge. It's a pile of crap, as long as you watch what your are eating (and Annon is right it's different for everyone) especially the carbs then you will be fine. I had to test my blood first thing in the morning, and then two hours after every meal. When that wasn't good enough, I was put on insulin (I am allergic to the pill) once a day at bed time...if you need anything just drop me a line, and I can help fill you in. The doctors are NOT always helpful when it comes to this. My baby is 2 months old, and he was going to be a "BIG" baby, he was 7lbs 2 oz...hmmm...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 7:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• thank you to all of you mommies for your answers not to thrilled with having to do this but what helps my baby is fine with me, I am getting pretty nervouse about it now so I am hoping maybe my test results will come back negative for it. It does go away after pregnancy correct?
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 7:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• But with the three hours test, you will get your blood tested and then drink the super duper orangy stuff and then have your blood drawn three times, once at every hour. This is NOTHING that you did, it should be called a carbohydrate intolerance/ hormone inbalance (DUH your pregnant!). Your pregnant body is not handling the sugar well.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 7:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• thank u mama for all of the information that you provided, i have found if very helpful
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 7:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I had Gestational Diabetes that I tryed to control with diet unsuccessfully. I ended up being insulin dependent and having to take 4 shots a day. However, It is different for everyone. I had numerous indepth sonos to keep track on how big my baby was growing. Docs said that if I went full term, my baby would be 10+ lbs. They induced me at 38 weeks and ended with a c-section. My son was 6lbs 14oz!!!!! Hardly big!
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Ok I am totally convinced that this does not cause big babies, and I really hope they don't induce me this time around , I was induced 11 days past due with my son (which in my opinion 7 lbs 1 oz was not overdue) and I have high hopes of going into labor naturally this time. Oh well just things I will discuss with my doctor tomorrow when I go get my RHOgam injection
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 8:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i was called back for a 3 hour test last time around. i guess i was right on the line, so I didn't have to do anything. hopefully there was just an error with your test (this is when you hope you didn't follow the directions correctly). good luck
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2008