Have you ever skipped having a birthday party for your child?

I am thinking about having a family day for my child's birthday, but she wants a sleep over. I don't think I am going to be up to that.

kina803

Asked by kina803 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Nooooo - I would never do that to her. She deserves as special a birthday as I do, so if she wants a party, I let her have a party. One night is not too much to do for your precious little girl.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• NO- i have never S!kipped one of my kid's birthday!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sorry, but it's your daughter's birthday, be up to it! Has she been deserving of this sleep over? Then if it is possible do it, so you don't regret it. They grow up, move on and you want her to have great memories of the past. It's your job Momma. Have fun
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I've never skipped one...they always get to pick where they want the party and who they will invite...it sucks for a day but it's worth it at the end of the day...well, at the end of the next day for you if it's a sleep over ;)
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think once they're school age, it's not a good idea. Maybe at age 2 or 3 you can, but even then, I wouldn't. I have friends that have just done a family thing at home, but I think once they understand birthdays, you have to do something.
    I'm a big birthday person, and I want to make sure my son is, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son has rarely had a birthday party with his friends because his birthday is July 4 and most people are not in town. I never skip his bday but I do skip parties.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I wouldnt at that age. My son turned two this summer and we took a trip to a theme park instead of throwing a party at home though.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have when she was younger, but if she was actually asking for a party (ie sleepover), then there's no way I'd skip it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We don't do parties for our kids.  We just take them out to lunch/dinner and they get cake before bed.

It's been that way since they were little.  They are 10, just turned 9, about to turn 8, 4 1/2 and 3 months.  They don't expect parties.  The only thing my son got for his birthday this month was a card with $9 in it.  He had asked to have some friends over but I was too tired to have a house full of kids.  He did get his cake and ice cream and he was satisfied.  We took him out to eat a couple days later and he spent his money on some Legos.  That's about how all their birthdays go.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yes we have. We don't do birthday parties for our kids. They get a cake and something special. This yr my 7 yr old begged to go eat with Elmo @ Busch Gardens, and that is what we did. My son wanted to eat with Elmo for his birthday also, but we didn't have the money at the time. We are eating with Count VonCount @ Busch Gardens on Halloween day. My kids don't tricker treat, but that is a different post all together.
    littlebit1980

Answer by littlebit1980 at 7:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2010