A member of my husbands unit was killed..How can i help my husband? adult content

My husband served 2 duty tours in iraq, a year after they returned home from the 2nd tour he got out of the marine corps. He is disabled because he was hit by an IED his 1st tour.

His former unit is in afganistan now, and my husband just found out a member passed away a few days ago. They were friends, and he was in my husbands spot on the vehical when it happen(where my husband used to sit while on patrols). My husband is really affected by this and i have no idea what to do for him.

::::This persons family has ALREADY been notified of the death, this happen last week sometime, so arrangments have already been made:::::

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I am so sorry :( I have no real words of advice, I guess just keep him talking and be a good listener.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Just be there for him. You can't understand where he is emotionally because you've never been there. Just let him know that you are there for him when every he needs you.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sorry to hear. Be there for him.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Just listen to him. Encourage him to talk about his friend and his memories of him. Try to help him focus on the good memories and let him grieve. Be there to hold him and comfort him. That is really all you can do.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

neebug3766

• Ask him to call Military OneSource.com they are there 24/7.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• yeah im sorry to hear that just be there for him confort him is the best you can do
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am so sorry. The best thing you can do is to just wait until he ready to talk (and he will be) and then be there to comfort him. If he becomes extremely depressed you may have to consider counseling. I'm a military wife who has been through this also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm so sorry to hear about his friend. All you can do is be there for him when he needs you. Let him know that he can cry and that you'll be there for him. Allow him time to grieve; make things at home more comfortable for him. Losing a brother in arms is a lot like losing a beloved family member because they ARE family; they're not just someone we served with; they're someone we love as a brother (or sister) and hurts all the more knowing that his friend was taking his old position.

My heart goes out to him as well as his friends family. I hope that it's funeral not picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2010