Does your child have ADHD?

ive been told that my daughter may be ADHD. i did some research online and she shows all the sign's it runs in our family as well anyways how did you go about getting your child assessed? what were the treatment plans do they work? someone help me here!

AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2

Asked by AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• No, but I do.. as do 3 of my 7 siblings.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My husband and I believed my son Dakota had ADHD since I got with my husband 4 years ago when my son was 1 and a half. We had asked his pediatrician more times than I can count about it and she said they couldn't legally test him until he was 6yrs old. I contacted a local child therapist who said he would see him. On that day he was diagnosed with ADHD. He has since been on methylin 5mg 3x a day (generic for ritalin) and it has been a God send. He can actually concentrate and pay attention to what your saying. I tried the different diets beforehand and they didn't work so medication was the next best thing and he is doing wonderfully. GL and never give up!
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My DS,11, has ADHD. We went to his pediatrition and they gave us some info and questionaires for his teachers as well as us. When all of the paperwork was back they had him do a simple test on the computer that helped with his final assessment. After we sat down and talked abou what to do for him. We decided to put him on meds and that was the best decision we ever made for our son. He is a much calmer happier child. He has only been on his meds for 9 months, but the changes are wonderful. HE still has his great personality, but he can now control his behavior. He told me that without his meds his brain is"fuzzy" This help finally let the world see our smart, funny, talented, wonderful little boy for who he is and not just for his bad behaviors.
    Good Luck!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my boyfriend is worried about putting our daughter on medication he thinks we can do home remedies to treat it and help her with it but i dont know i am going crazy her attitude is really bad she doesnt listen at all! she throws tantrums and shes 5 yrs old. how do i convince my bf that meds may be the best for our daughter?
    AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2

Comment by AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2 (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• before you start meds, get her tested. I'd wait until she is in school
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• she is in kindergarten. how do i go about getting her tested?
    AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2

Comment by AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No. My brother does though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• no
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My oldest does and we are working on getting my younger son tested as well (he has an Autism Spectrum Disorder). For both of them, the school asked us about testing him. The school psychologist does the testing. They send home a questionaire of two that you fill out, and the teacher also fills some out. The psych "grades" the questionaires and set up a meeting to discuss the results. If they do find it, they can refer you to an outside source for medication. When my oldest was first dx'ed he was put on Adderall. He had terrible side effects from it, so he was changed to Concerta. It started at like 8 mgs and has since been up to 36 mgs. He has been on it for almost 3 years now and it has helped him tremendously.
    Before we got the dx though, his one teacher made a suggestion. She suggested I try caffeine (either diet pop, or coffee). I thought she was nuts, but I tried it. And i tell you, it calmed him down. cont....
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I asked her how she had heard about this "treatment" and she told me she had went to a seminar about it. The person leading it said that the caffeine helps to speed up their mind to keep up with their body. I just gave him 8 ozs in the morning and it helped. So, you can try that. There are also some "calming" techniques that some people use, Most of them have learned them through counsolers. So, if your bf doesn't want to do medication, you can try those.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010