Second night of CIO

My DD is 16 months old and will NOT go to sleep on her own and wakes frequently during the night and needs A LOT of helping going back to bed. So, this is our second night of crying it out. Everytime I go up to comforter her she pushes me away. Is this suppose to happen? It's making me feel like this is a bad idea .... BUT I am so tired.

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't listen to the bitches who are bashing you. They're just crabby because they are glued to their kids 24/7 and can't get any sleep!

Stay strong mama and let her cry it out. You are teaching her to self-soothe, which is an important skill. Both my kids were allowed to CIO and now they go to bed wihtout a fuss and sleep through the night. After a few difficult nights, your little one should be sleeping with no problems. The trick is to stick to your guns now that you've made the decision.
    Anonymous

• She's probably frustrated. You are her mom - you are supposed to help and comfort her, not let her cry in her bed. That is so sad.
    Anonymous

• aww. that sucks. my SO works overnight so my 16 month old just sleeps in bed with me and loves it and has no problem sleeping. when my SO has his night off, i take him in bed with us and then get him to sleep and then very quietly and softly move him to his crib or to a little bed i make with pillows and blankets next to our bed.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• That poor baby. :(

If somebody was purposely putting you through something tramatising you would push them away too. Her head is probably killing her from crying. Her mind is simply NOT developed enough to understand what you are doing. In her mind her mother is not responding to her needs.

There are SO many ways to get her to sleep without neglecting her. Have you read the book "No Cry Sleep Solution?"

Have you tried weaning her off of your presence in her room by sitting next to her crib in a chair until she falls asleep and then slowly over 2 weeks moving the chair farther and farther out of the room until you are in the hall way? < This technique worked EXTREMELY well with our daughter. After teh 2 weeks we would put her in the bed and leave the room. She would go straight to sleep. No crying.

Seriously...find another techique...one that doesn't involve a 16 month old ending up with a migraine.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• ((HUGS)) I know this is hard... it was the only way I got my daughter to sleep and stop nursing all night long when she was 20 months. I found that comforting her just made her cry longer and so I cuddled, read, nursed and put her into her bed and let her cry without going back until she fell asleep. It was SOOOOO hard, and I hated myself for it. If you're going to do this, stick to your guns. I don't have an easier way to do it, though, I tried a few ways other moms on here suggested and they didn't work for my daughter. Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm not a fan of CIO. I think it sends the wrong message and it seems to me that's why she's responding that way. Hope things get better for you both.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't agree with CIO either. But I don't have any alternatives to offer you - we cosleep and are happy to do so until our son is ready to sleep on his own without trauma.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• if you cant put her to sleep in your bed first and then softly move her or let her sleep with you, you should try putting her in her crib and standing there outside the crib and rubbing her head and cheeks and singing to her until she falls asleep.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• hang in there!!! It WILL get better, I promise. We had to let our son CIO and after the 3rd or 4th night he was sleeping through the night.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yes, I'm her mom I have let her sleep with me when she wants, I have nursed her for over a year, I have not had a full night of sleep in 16 months .... so before you tell me how sad I am treating my daughter ... maybe come up with a better solution before I have an anxiety attack from no sleep :)
    kaylan010

Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010