4 year old gets leg cramps

So my daughter wakes up alot with massive pain. I have to rub her legs with lotion for like 10 mins sometimes longer. She gets them often. She turns 4 at the end of this month she is 40 1/4 inchs tall so I was thinking maybe its she is growing to fast but doctors just call it growing pains. She eats bananas & only drinks water so I just wasn't sure what it could be.

crystal7908

Asked by crystal7908 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I did that until adult hood. I am fine now. My son had a few episodes, but, I had them often from tiny age...she should be fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i was going to say growning pains, but i see that was covered maybe she overdoes it? That seems to be the only time i get craps but im 23 lol
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Awww, does sound like growing pains to me and I fear that I will have the same problem with my fast growing 2.5 year old. I know that when I have leg aches, aside from a leg rub, heat helps. Maybe a warm bath and some cozy slipper socks. Make sure her legs and feet are nice and warm at night. Good luck, Mama.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• aww poor baby,im not sure but i hope she starts feeling better
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Here is what is possibly going on...The doc is probably spot on that its growing pains, but should have explained growing pains to you.

As a child grows, their muscles grow and stretch SLOWER than the bones do, which causes the pain. You are doing exactly what you should be...rub and relax those legs!! This will occur every so often through out the major growing years (sometimes until 16 yrs old). Sometimes it will be BAD pain, other times it may just irritate the child a bit.

Its normal and not brought on by "over doing it"

I hope this is some comfort :)
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 1:17 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• So many children get growing pains. It always sounds strange but it's really a true thing! Rubbing her lege is good, but at the same time, have her help you rub them. It's always good to help children feel like they can take care of themselves. It's empowering for them. That's not to say that you don't still rub them! But if she's at school, or away from you, she'll know what to do. Those growing pains come off and on for years!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• sounds like growing pains. I use to get them as a kid and my DD has had a few of them. When she gets them in her legs try to help her stand up and walk them off. It relieves the pressure in the muscle. Massaging it can make it work. A nice warm bath before bed can help. But really, the only relieve is walking it off when it happens.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• sorry meant to say massaging it can make it WORSE, not work, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

• okay, let me rephrase some of what I wrote. Massaging before bed time is great, but when she actually gets the pain in her legs, it can intensify the pain and make it worse for them. So try to relax the muscles before bed, and if she wakes up or has a pain during the day, just help her to walk them off.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I try to give her warms baths every night. I do notice that when she plays really hard she has them worse. We use heating pads when she is in pain. Before she actually goes to bed at night she starts complaining her legs are hurting so we rub them with lotion but it still doesn't work. I get them alot but I stand up & they go away but I can't get her to stand up she just cries.
    crystal7908

Comment by crystal7908 (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010