Military = Political Office?

There are tons of political commercials going on where one politician is raising themselves up by putting others down. It's sad and pathetic and personally, I'm tired of listening to it all!

I see that many bring up military records as though that is a major plus (not saying it's not, just pointing it out).

Are you more apt to vote for someone because they were in the military? Why/why not?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not necessarily. I served 12 years in the military. Would anyone vote for me if I ran for office just because I served? A DD-214 does not make someone a born and true leader. In fact, when I was in the military, I hated working for the officers and enlisted who acted like a bunch of politicians. Bunch of kiss asses. Some of the better politicians never served, some of the worst ones never served, and some of the worst ones did serve and so on.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• 50/50. Officers are not my cup of tea but the ones that did the real work...yep.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 11:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't take that into consideration. I live in Indiana and our governor, Mitch Daniels, never served and he's been one of the better ones this state has had.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 11:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• For me it depends on what their military service was and how educated they are on issues and how much experience they have.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 11:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I prefer politicians who want to serve their constituents with factual, logical soolutions.

Not ones that appeal to emotion or pie-in-the-sky.

So no.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Depends. I'm more likely to pay attention to them. I'd like for them to have the military experience. And yes, I know not all military personnel are worth a shit. I don't think that just any yahoo that was military should run for a political position. But, I think being prior service IS a plus. And so what if they are using that past experience in their commercials? What I'm sick of is the mud slinging. THAT is something we can all do without.

As far as prior military service members, what I can't stand is, the damn car salesmen/lawyers/Realtor telling us 'I will take care of you, I'm a retired so and so.' LMAO! Yeah, right. Sends us running, fast. We know better.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• What I'm sick of is the mud slinging. THAT is something we can all do without.

^ This.

There is so much mud slinging that it's almost impossible to find anything good about any of them ... or it is used to hide the fact that there is nothing good about any of them.

I do pay attention to whether or not someone is prior military ~ but I look to see how well that military bearing and the oath has held up once they retired more than at what they did while in the military. Character matters far more to me than many other things or achievements.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No, as a veteran, I can tell ya not all military careers are all that honorable and self-sacrificing, nor do all military members give it their all. Some are just getting by, doing what they have to do to squeak by to get the benefits they receive. Civilians don't realize this. They just see "GI Joe, the All-American Hero risking his life in combat".... wrong

So many kids join up fresh out of HS because they have no where else to go or can't afford college or want a career that offers free training and job security. The military evens sets up your daily routine, so there's very little a young adult has to do other than do what they are told to get a sweet deal.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2010