Would I be induced for this? & also - are these contractions? 37 weeks on Friday.

Cervix is closed & thick, dr. said baby's head is right there. I also have GD but measure fine, today I was 36cm. What I wanted to know is is it weird that I am not dilating yet? & still thick? Should I be dilating by now and if so, will I end up in a c-section? With GD girls can have bigger babies and I am worried my baby is going to bake himself huge in there. :) Also - I felt this pain in my lower stomach where the baby is and it waved from my stomach to my back & met at my spine. It wasn't constant, happened 3 or 4x (like waves) within 2 mins. At 6:42, it's now 7:27. Hasn't happened again but I am feeling crampy, almost like what I felt, but just in my lower stomach now and not my back and not as intense. What is it? I had BH for a while but this wasn't anything even close? I had contractions stopped with Terbutaline at 34 weeks, didn't know I was having them. Showed up on an NST at the office.

NMRx

Asked by NMRx at 7:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• noelle dropped right around 36 weeks and no one but my OB believed me. yet, i was not dialated and not effaced until 3 days before i had her at 39 weeks (i just felt like a bowling ball was rocking around inside my hips). i always asked the dr. how i would know if they were contractions, but when they started, i didn't have to ask. mine started like you described, but would happen off and on for a few days. when my labor started, the pain in my hips and lower stomach and back was like a really strong period cramp and i just wanted to walk and squat and not sit at all.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Could be labor. It wouldn't hurt to give your doctor a call. Please keep us informed.

My first came early and my body hadn't prepared, so this is why I think that yours could be labor. The doctor may say to wait until they are regular, but even so, if it were me, I'd call.

Answer by Bmat at 7:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• To be induced doctors want a few factors... for labor to begin most women dilate some on their own. Their cervix thins out (also called "effacement") -- Its not weird that you're not there yet, since you just hit 37 weeks. You said the baby has already dropped... and these things can happen faster in some women then others. You might go in next week and be 60% effaced and 3cm dilated. I think its too soon to say you will have a c-section. Some GD babies are larger, have they done a recent sonogram to see how your baby is size wise? Plenty of Moms successfully deliver 8, 9 heck even 10 pound babies. Your body will amaze you. Don't worry Mom! :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2008