my 6 month old wont sleep

Some days he will sleep for normal naps two, two hour long naps. but Other days he wont sleep at all. Today for example, he woke up at 7:45 am, napped for an hour (1030-1130) and hasn't slept since! Its midnight. What the hell?

ZOSO

Asked by ZOSO at 12:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• He sounds overtired. Sometimes when babies are too tired they can't sleep (weird, I know). Take him away from all loud, stimulating things (TV, radio, etc.) and try to get him to calm down. A bath might help. Also, at this point he should be on a consistent schedule and have a consistent bedtime routine.
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree that by this time you should have a consistent bedtime routine. You know his signs that he is tired and you can decide the reasonable time you want him to go to bed each night. We found it worked best for us to have a routine that was always the same. Bath, reading books, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. I know there are moms who will disagree with this method but it is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I usually do the same thing every day, or at least I try to. With my daughter she was like clock work with her routine. I tried letting him cry last night but he ended up screaming his lungs out and I got him. Ill try the soft music though. Maybe a rocking chair? We usually just pace back and forth in his room with the lights out. Even after he finally fell asleep (shortly after midnight) he woke up 2 times between then and finally waking up at 7:30.
    ZOSO

Comment by ZOSO (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Have you tried swaddling him? Are you breastfeeding him? Is he allergic to something? Are you drinking caffeinated beverages? Have you tried a swing? My daughter slept in a swing until after a year old. Also I found out she liked to sleep on her back and or tummy. She also loved to be hot hot hot. I got her a down blanket and she slept much better. Good luck.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am breastfeeding. But lately I haven't been enough for him and Ive been giving him some formula too. I only drink decaf coffee in the morning. He hates being swaddled!! We try the swing, sometimes it works, some times it doesn't. I think he might be teething, maybe. He is usually a pretty crappy sleeper but recently its been really bad. Ahh! Thanks for you suggestions.
    ZOSO

Comment by ZOSO (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2010