Is it rude to have a party...then tell people that the grill will be hot if you want to grill your own

There is this couple...they love to throw parties but never have any food, to me if a person/couple is having a get together they should have something to much on...

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Weird, awkward and in very poor taste. Miss Manners would be appalled!
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 6:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yes that is really rude why have a party u could at least have some chips
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would never have a party where my guests had to cook their own food. Unless of course it's a potluck. But otherwise, I would never leave the grill going and say "have at it". That's just bad etiquette. Unless it is annotated on the invite that it's a free for all.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• There is certainly a clever idea if you tell everyone. Perhaps the couple has a unique culture or circumstances? Maybe they have a huge aversion to meat but don't want to deny guests? Why don't you ask them? Granted... don't ask when you arrive to the party-- that could be awkward.
    wenchmommy381

Answer by wenchmommy381 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yeah or at least let everyone know that they should bring something for sure.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Exactly and the husband works at a grocery store!!! and yet they will not even provide a simple bag of chips
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would understand if they said "hey we made potato salad and have beans and so bring some meat for the grill it will be hot when you get here"
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That is just weird. We often have potluck parties where people bring everything else, but we provide the meat and cook it.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 12:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I can understand having a party at a time that does not include a meal, but I can not understand not offering some sort of munchie or snack and drinks.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Do they not bring food for themselves or anything? no salad, no chips, no dessert and he works at a grocery store??? That is just weird! What exactly are they providing for the party? Do they have a pool or why do they think you need to hang out at there place rather than your own backyard?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:06 AM on Oct. 15, 2010